Don’t be a tyrant unto me, and I also don’t be a tyrant unto you.
A more tolerant society is a better society. But what are the caveats?
Maximally intolerant towards intolerant people (Nassim Taleb, Skin in the Game)
This one seems a bit confusing, but let me explain.
If someone is a Nazi or racist and wants to infringe on the rights of others, or wants to cause physical harm or violence unto others, we should lock them up. Nazis and racists are maximally intolerant, thus as a society, we must as a society be maximally intolerant towards them (we cannot tolerate their extreme behavior and actions).
For example, if you’re a racist and you attack someone else based on their race, should we as a society tolerate your behavior? No. We should punish you, and put you into jail.
Let’s say I’m a racist, but I don’t act upon my racism. I keep it to myself. I don’t share it with anyone, nor do I act in a violent way unto others. I think this is fine. If you’re intolerant (privately), that’s fine. It’s only when your intolerance affects embodied reality and humans in the flesh … this is a problem.
Freedom of speech
This is where freedom of speech is tricky.
In America, we got freedom of speech. But should I be free to spread hateful rhetoric, which encourages violence and intolerance? No.
In an extreme case, people should be allowed to share hate speech (it is their right). But when do they cross the line? When they encourage others to become intolerant, or when they encourage others to be violent.
Why is tolerance important?
We shouldn’t force everyone to have the same beliefs or think the same way. For example, I don’t want everyone to share my beliefs. I don’t want to force my beliefs unto others, and to force them to do as I do. But similarly, I don’t want you to be tolerant with my beliefs.
This is where the whole political debate is misguided. Both sides should be tolerant towards the beliefs of others. In politics, all is opinion. There is no truth.
Can I wear a MAGA hat in Berkeley?
Am I “allowed” to be a Donald Trump supporter in Berkeley? I don’t think so.
Assuming politics is akin to religion, shouldn’t everyone be allowed to practice whatever religion they want?
What’s a fascist anyways?
To my understanding, a fascist or fascist government is one which uses military force, and fear of death and killing to coerce citizens to think, behave, or act a certain way. Nazi Germany were fascists, America isn’t. If a government doesn’t use guns or violence to coerce you into submission, it ain’t a fascist government.
The goal: Maximal tolerance towards tolerant people
Perhaps we should become MORE tolerant towards those who exhibit tolerance.
Will this be the shift which can change the world for the better?
PHILOSOPHY by KIM
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- What are you *really* afraid of?
- HAPPINESS ISN’T THE GOAL
- Philosophy is King
- Why is Selfish Evil?
- YOU’RE CONSTANTLY IN A STATE OF BECOMING
- ENTITLEMENT A SIN?
- BE BRUTALLY HONEST WITH YOURSELF
- WHY FREE WILL?
- OBEY YOUR OPINION
- EGO IS GOOD.
- WHY IT IS GOOD TO BE INTO YOURSELF
- Seek the Good Pain
- Anti-Perfection in Photography, Art, and Life
- Can You Become an End into Yourself?
- WHY I LIVE
- Why I Hate Decline
- Why I Eat
- Why am I So Positive and Optimistic?
- EFFORT IS ENJOYMENT
- Never Stop Gaining
- TRUST YOURSELF
- A Life of Maximal Personal Independence
- What Do You Desire to Become?
- What Do I Want from Technology?
- Stratified Society
- Do You Love or Hate Reality?
- On the Brian, Body and Mind
- I’m Maximally Happy, Now What?
- Care over Fame
- ACTIVE NIHILISM
- Never Stop Subtracting
- How to Live a Happier and More Epic Life
- A Risker Life is a Better Life
- Only Work on Things You Can Imagine Doing for Eternity
- How to Maximize Your Happiness
- The Gladiator Makes His Plans once He Enters the Ring
- Meditations on Meaning in Life
- There is Nothing More Interesting than Human Beings
- Is Hope a Vice?
- Why Be Unique?
- Happiness is Metabolism Health and Strength
- You’re the Hero
- Is Productivity a Virtue or Vice?
- Why Do We Prize the Rare?
- The Joy of Uncertainty
- How Should I Best Use My Time and Life?
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >