Lesson: Do more of what you love doing, do less of what you hate doing.
What does it mean to have a “meaningful” life, or a life full of meaning?
What does “meaning” mean?
When we talk about a “meaningful” life, I think we mean to say “purposeful” life. In this regard: a meaningful life is a life led with intent, purpose, and precision of pursuing your life goals.
But is it possible to live a “meaningful” life without consciously realizing it? I think so.
An unconscious meaningful life
I can live a meaningful life without knowing it. For example, I can be maximally virtuous and leave a legacy that lasts a thousand years. But I might not know it while I am alive, and of course I cannot know after I die.
Thus, one doesn’t NEED to know that they’re living a meaningful life, if they’re already living a meaningful life (without consciously knowing it).
What if I’m living a meaningful life, but feel depressed or dissatisfied?
Let us say I am living a meaningful life, but I still feel dissatisfied or depressed. Does it mean I am still living a meaningful life?
Yes, you are still living a meaningful, purposeful life, but you still feel depressed and dissatisfied.
Then comes the question:
Is it worth it to live a purposeful life EVEN THOUGH you feel depressed and dissatisfied?
Then the next question: is a better life a life in which you DON’T feel depressed or dissatisfied?
Depression and dissatisfaction in life
Heraclitus was once known as the ‘weeping’ philosopher, as his thoughts tend to be more gloomy and melancholic. Personally I see Heraclitus as insanely wise, and his “gloominess” is just his rigor in thinking and logical precision.
Much of modern thinking is this:
How to eliminate feelings of depression, anxiety, and fear.
But what if feelings of melancholy, gloom, anxiety, and fear are a second source of our intelligence? What if by castrating these emotions from ourselves, we also castrate our ability to feel extreme joy? (Nietzsche’s thought in ‘The Joyful Wisdom‘). Nassim Taleb also thinks about this in his book ‘Antifragile’, in which the feelings of ‘hüzün‘ (gloominess, sadness) in the Turkish winters can be a source of profound insight.
More than purpose
Instead of purpose in life, perhaps we should strive to simply DEEPEN our wisdom, augment our intelligence, and to strive to create more powerful/dynamic artwork.
Artwork via photos, videos, writing, or any form of art you love.
Also the problem with living a ‘purposeful’ life:
We often think that a ‘purposeful’ life is a virtuous life.
But who is to deem what is virtuous and what isn’t virtuous?
I say you live your life in a very simple way:
Do more of what you love doing, do less of what you hate doing.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- There is Nothing More Interesting than Human Beings
- Is Hope a Vice?
- Why Be Unique?
- Happiness is Metabolism Health and Strength
- You’re the Hero
- Is Productivity a Virtue or Vice?
- Why Do We Prize the Rare?
- The Joy of Uncertainty
- How Should I Best Use My Time and Life?
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >