What if hope is holding us back?
Hope is uncertain
I believe too often hope holds us back. We hope for a different future and a different reality, instead of making the best use of what we got now.
For example we look into the future and hope for money, hope for more free time, hope for more resources and new technologies. But in looking into this near-distant future, we fail to reap the benefits of the present moment.
Hope strings us along
Many ancients have thought of hope as a vice, as it allows corrupt rulers to string along citizens towards a false and uncertain future.
For example, politicians always promise a better future for us. But how few of them actually stay true to their word?
Also, consider gambling, lottery, etc. They prey on our bias of hope: merchants of false hopes, which hold us back.
Many people also strive to accumulate money, wealth, and “save” in order for a better future. But what if we took a pause, and asked ourselves:
What do we really want ONCE we achieve ‘financial freedom’?
Most people don’t think this far ahead.
And also: do you truly need ‘financial freedom’ before doing what your final end or aim is?
What is our final goal?
For example, for a long time I wanted financial freedom in order to feel more free, to have more control over my schedule and time, to travel more, to photograph more, and to not be concerned with reporting to someone else.
But what did I truly want? To make photos, art, and philosophize. And I realized that when I became self-employed, it was certainly 100x better than being employed, but still — self-employment didn’t guarantee my personal happiness. I still needed to work very hard in order to discover joy through making art, writing, thinking, and philosophizing.
Hoping for tranquility
Many of us want “peace”, “zen”, and tranquility. But once we achieve it — then what?
We don’t want peace of mind for the sake of peace of mind.
I think we want peace of mind IN ORDER to be able to focus on what is truly important to us. To NOT be bothered by extraneous things on the outside.
We want peace IN ORDER to focus and maximize on working on what is truly important to us.
Philosophy by KIM
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Why Be Unique?
- Happiness is Metabolism Health and Strength
- You’re the Hero
- Is Productivity a Virtue or Vice?
- Why Do We Prize the Rare?
- The Joy of Uncertainty
- How Should I Best Use My Time and Life?
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
Masters of Philosophy »
Personal Philosophy »
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
Zen Philosophy »
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Life Lessons »
Learn more: Start Here >