Dissatisfaction and the desire to beautify our reality is what drives us as artists and creators:
Why do we get so easily bored or satiated?
A thought when walking back from the gym after hitting a new PR in my squats:
How can one live a life in which one is never bored, satiated, satisfied?
“I’m never satisfied, can’t knock my hustle.’ – Jay Z
I like the basic notions of Buddhism and Christianity of desiring ‘satisfaction’ in life, and being able to be satisfied with little. For the most part, most of philosophy is about frugality, simplicity, and deriving satisfaction from life.
But what if the opposite were true?
What if the great secret to life was to become MORE EXACTING, MORE DISSATISFIED, and MORE HUNGRY — for more?
Is hunger what drives us?
I can personally say, after eating all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ, I usually fall into ‘food coma’, and take a 1-2 hour nap. After eating all that food and satisfying my hunger, I go to sleep. I become dormant. I have no desire/need to do anything.
If we want to do more, act more, achieve more, and become more — perhaps we need to let ourselves go hungry.
But is hunger our ‘primum mobile’? (“first mover” in Latin)
What is the first thing [biologically] which truly motivates us to act or move? Is it just hunger?
Yes and no.
What is hunger? A desire for the body to consume nutrition in order to augment itself. For example if you lift heavy weights, your body signals hunger — and thus you end up eating a lot of meat and protein in order to build up your muscles bigger, so you become stronger.
So in this way, hunger is an aid [motivates us to eat more meat] in order to become stronger.
The desire to become stronger
My thought [echoing Nietzsche’s in his ‘Will to Power’]:
The human organism’s deepest desire is to become stronger.
Ideally, we desire to become master over all humans, and preferably — the entire earth (even Plato says this).
Now this is the problem:
As children growing up, we are indoctrinated by our teachers, parents, religion, cultural norms, etc that selfishness is evil, you must ‘play nice’ with others, and everyone is special and gets a gold trophy.
But if you really think about it, every child is a mini-tyrant. The child wants the parents to be its slave. But we essentially train/’domesticate’/punish our children to OBEY US (the parents). We desire to train the child to become like us. We [as parents] don’t want to see our children become more powerful than us, and we certainly don’t want to become the slaves of our children.
When I have a child, I want to train my child to [hopefully] become 100x more epic than me.
Does dissatisfaction drive us?
If we wanted 100% perfect satisfaction, what would be the difference between us and a cow?
Also if humans were easily satisfied, we would still be eating acorns in some cave somewhere.
I would prefer being a dissatisfied person with a Tesla self-driving car, Apple products, and RICOH cameras making cool shit, rather than twiddling my thumbs in a forest somewhere.
Dissatisfaction is what drives us as artists
I think our desire as artists is this:
A desire to give birth to beautiful artworks.
In a sense we as artists are like parents. We desire to give birth to children because we have pride in our DNA, our lineage, and we want to propagate our genes.
Artists sometimes get discouraged to NOT create artwork because they feel that their attempts and artworks aren’t “good enough” or pale in comparison to other great artists from the past. But this is silly. This is like a parent not wanting to create a child because all the other children who came before are somehow superior.
Let us channel our dissatisfaction and pain to CREATE!
To become a creator, and to create much [become a prolific creator].
To create, we need dissatisfaction and the DESIRE TO BECOME MORE to drive us to create.
Furthermore, as artists we are dissatisfied with reality, and we desire to use our artistic power and force to transform, transfigure, and TRANSMUTE reality to become our own ideal version of reality.
Thus as artists, we create things in order to make our own version of reality; a richer, more beautiful, and more sublime reality.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Take your street photography to the next level:
- August 27 (Friday): SEATTLE MASTER STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NOW LIVE!]
- September 11 (Saturday): DOWNTOWN LA ADVANCED STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NEW!]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.