I love abstract photos and art. But how can one see the world in an abstract way?
I like abstract photos because they force the viewer to use their brains to try to interpret the photo.
I love that anyone can interpret an abstract photograph anyway they desire, and there is no right or wrong.
An abstract photograph can be interpreted any way and every way.
Why black and white for abstract?
You don’t need black and white for abstract. You can also shoot abstract color photographs.
Yet, there is something sublime about monochrome. Monochrome is the ultimate simplicity.
1. Play with reflections, surfaces, and light
Shoot through car windows, and make photos where light looks strange. Shoot the photos because you’re curious what the photos will look like after you shoot it.
“I photograph to see what the world looks like photographed.” – Garry Winogrand
2. Lower the exposure
Shoot RAW and process with ERIC KIM PRESETS.
In Lightroom when you’re processing your pictures, lower the exposure, and “crush the blacks” by playing with the “blacks” slider.
3. Simple shapes and forms
4. Get close
Shoot more macro photos; look for beauty really close.
This is what I believe:
If you look closely enough, everything is beautiful.
5. Shoot with a flash
The flash will make a lot more things seem surreal. Like the picture above, shot looking inside a toaster.
6. Photograph weird surfaces
Shoot aluminum foil, or other highly reflective surfaces.
8. Obscure faces
Don’t show the faces of your subjects (Street Photography surrealism technique).
When you don’t show the faces of your subjects, it forces the viewer to imagine what the face of the subject will look like.
9. Look down
Look at the pavement for weird stuff to photograph. If you look down, look for shadows, tire marks, anything that has interesting textures.
10. Shoot around the house
There’s a lot of interesting things to shoot at home. Look for cloths to photograph, drapery, or even ask others to shoot photos of you (Cindy took the below picture of me):
- Abstract photos work better when it is more difficult to determine what it is of.
- Experiment with monochrome and color for your abstract photos
- Study other abstract artists: Franz Kline, Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollock, etc
- Good abstract and surreal photographers: Richard Avedon, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Josef Koudelka, W. Eugene Smith
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
Street Photography Starter Kit
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
MUSE by KIM
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- The Film Shooter
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49