Is All Conventional Wisdom Bad?
Have I ever learned anything from anyone else (in real life) or from books which had practical utility in my life, without me following my gut and self-experimenting?
Conventional wisdom has never helped me. However on the other hand, listening to and acting upon/experimenting on unconventional wisdom has seemed to pay off.
Lessons from AI
Huge news– AI has finally toppled the world of Texas Hold’em poker — a notoriously difficult task, as it deals with ‘imperfect information’.
What I found hugely inspiration and fascinating is this:
AI (artificial intelligence) has the ability to DISPROVE and ‘falsify’ (Karl Popper) conventional wisdom.
For example, in Texas hold’em there are certain strategies which are deemed ‘superior’ to other strategies. But this poker AI was able to tilt the conventional wisdom upon the head of ‘orthodoxy’. Which means:
The AI (via self-play) ignored all the ‘conventional wisdom’ of ‘Poker strategy’, and instead– taught itself NEW INSIGHTS via self-experimentation (a ‘tabula rasa’ approach).
Discover new wisdom, truths, and strategies in life for yourself, by yourself.
Long story short:
Ignore conventional wisdom. Better to learn via self-play, self-experimentation, and starting with a ‘blank slate’ mentality (child’s mind/tabula rasa).
This is the heart of innovation. To approach any field or discipline as an ‘ignorant’/blank mind. This will give you the audacity, courage, and insight to self-experiment for yourself!
Go against the grain (and follow your own gut and brain)
For example, when I decided to ‘open source‘ all of my information, everyone thought I was dumb, and it would cause me to lose out on money or opportunities. In-fact, in the long-run, it turned out to be a financially beneficial strategy. I simply followed my gut, and ignored all of the prevalent ‘monetization’ strategies at the time.
I believe that studying models are only useful in this regard:
If you discover unorthodox business models that work well, it can give you courage to experiment and attempt YOUR OWN unorthodox business models.
Self-experimentation in fitness
The conventional wisdom says that in order to get stronger, you must drink tons of protein shakes, and eat food before you workout. The last 3 years I’ve been experimenting with consuming NO PROTEIN POWDER, or any ‘supplements’, and fasting before working out (I don’t eat anything before working out). Through practice and effort, I was able to deadlift 430 pounds (1 rep max) via this regimen. Also note, I am an ‘ectomorph’ typically “weak Asian-guy” physique, and my genetics for physical fitness is unremarkable. Yet I have proved that via practice, you can truly achieve anything.
Conclusion: Ignore everyone else
Test all conventional wisdom for yourself. Think more in terms of ‘first principles‘ in physics, and ruthlessly self-experiment.
Have fun with the process, and discover deeper truths about reality and yourself!
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >