Life should be about OPTIONS and CHOICES, not ‘obligations’ or a sense of ‘duty’.
What is an ‘obligation’?
Never make decisions to please others, or else you will end up resenting them.
Generally speaking, this is what an ‘obligation’ is:
When someone has control over you, by using the tools of guilt, shame, and “duty”.
Obligations are all socially-constructed. There is no such thing as an ultimate ‘obligation’ that applies to ALL HUMANS in ALL SOCIETIES. Even the duty of a parent toward their children — Socrates willfully decided to drink the hemlock in spite of the fact that he had (adult) children he should have been “taking care” of.
Choices and options
I think the reason a lot of people feel miserable in life is because they feel overwhelmed with feelings of guilt, “sin”, and obligation. But what if we imagined a life free of any sort of ‘duties’ and ‘obligations’? What if our life was 100% in our control; that consisted of choices, options, and consequences?
I like the notion of ‘consequences’, because in life, we can technically do anything– but we must accept the consequences.
For example, you could kill a man, but you would have to deal with the consequence of being put in jail for the rest of your life, or perhaps even getting the death penalty.
You have the option of being a selfish and abusive father, but then you must deal with the consequence of having your children resent and ignore you when you get old (what happened to my dad).
First, always do what is best for you.
Consequences are also related to sacrifice, in the sense that every action you take in your life requires some sort of sacrifice– some sort of personal downside you’re willing to take for your actions.
Generally speaking, the only way to have ‘skin in the game’ is precisely through sacrifice, and through your actions.
To be clear, I don’t mean to think of sacrifice as a painful self-abnegation or self-flagellation thing; the best sacrifices are empowering and positive.
How to make decisions in everyday life
This is my thought:
In life, always make the choices and decisions YOU consider is best for yourself. Otherwise down the line, you will feel resentment towards those you are trying to help.
For example, a parent actually may be ‘selfish’ in deciding that what is best for THEMSELVES is to devote their lives to their children.
Avoid resentment at all costs.
Above all, always act in accordance with your own personal desires, needs, and ethics. Never make a decision that will make others happy; because what will happen is that you will eventually resent that person. And resentment, to me, is one of the ultimate human vices.
This means having the courage to ignore, the courage to say no, the courage to delay, and the courage to stand your ground!
Be courageous in your life, in spite of the consequences.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.