A fun and deep idea I got from Nietzsche— be like a child, and take your play very seriously.
1. Based on a true story
Imagine and consider, a child focused on playing. He is sitting down, playing with LEGO bricks, insanely focused on making his masterpiece. He is enraptured. He focuses for hours. He is only two or three years old, yet hunger doesn’t beckon him. His mother is worried about him, but allows him to “play on”.
This child is Eric.
A little older, this child (now in the fourth grade, around 11 years old) is focused on his drawing. He pens in with his gel ink … all the intricate details of his robot. Every line stroke is precise, and considered.
He takes his “play” or his curiosity very seriously. He gets very angry and furious when anyone disturbs his focus, or his state of “flow”. He is in the zone.
2. The purpose of your life is to make art!
As of now, my philosophy is this:
The focus of your life is to be an artist and make art!
Not an artist with a capital “A”. Every child is born an artist. And what is an artist? An individual who has imagination, a sense of play and fun, and wants to create images in his mind’s eye… and put it into the real world, whether that be through movement, pictures, drawings, sounds, music, etc. Anything and everything we create is art.
3. Your free time is limited / Memento Mori
Now, many of us have to make a living. We gotta eat, pay rent, pay taxes, etc. Yet… once we have enough money for the basics, I say fuck wasting money on stupid “status symbol” items and luxury goods. I say, let us take our free time very seriously. Let us guard our free time with our lives. Say NO to superfluous social meetings, or using that time to passively tranquillize yourself with mindless media.
I say…use that free time to make art. And take your art and play… very seriously.
4. Your passion doesn’t need to earn you money
Don’t be like John Stuart Mill (most of English and American mentality of “utilitarianism”— that all human actions must have a “practical purpose”) and think that the purpose of human life is to produce widgets, make money, and improve “living conditions” for the maximum amount of people possible.
No— see the purpose of your life as the opportunity to make great art. If not great art, the chance for you to play, explore your artistic interests, and like a child,.. take your play very seriously.
5. What is ERIC doing?
Nowadays, I’m taking my play very seriously. For me, I consider reading as fun and playing. I read random stuff that I find interesting, yet might not have any short-term “practical” gains. This includes Greek Mythology, books on Chaos theory, poetry and philosophy.
My friend Alexander Amy has introduced me to “Differential Geometry” and I’m using my iPad to sketch and draw, and trade some of the diagrams and images… yes, for fun!
I don’t like using the term “work” anymore… I prefer “play”. Yet, I take my “playing” seriously. I disconnect from the internet, drink lots of light-roast coffee, and focus on my pictures, reading, research, or drawing. To me, it is insanely important to me. Ultimately, the two most important things in my life include my work and my loved ones. Nothing else.
6. Life is a child at the beach, playing, and building sandcastles
So friend, take your play seriously. Guard your free time like it were golden bars. You are born with only 100 golden bars, would you give away any of your gold to anybody? Each golden bar is a symbol of 1 year of your life (assuming we can live to be 100 years old).
Your time, focus, energy, and attention are your most valuable assets. Never trade it for anything else.
And don’t forget, PLAY! Have fun! Explore! Follow whatever random stuff interests you, and don’t think you gotta make money from it. Follow your passions, and let nobody judge you but yourself.
Philosophy: love of wisdom.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
Street Photography Starter Kit
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
MUSE by KIM
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- The Film Shooter
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179