SimCity, remember destroying your city with tornadoes, ufo, Godzilla, earthquakes… for fun, to destroy your own city and start over?
Give away all your physical possessions, and start over.
I did that, and it was refreshing, and fun. Liberating. I felt less burden. Like the chance to start over. Beginners or child’s mind.
With LEGOs, after I built something, I had fun breaking it apart, and making something new.
My friend Josh White deleted all his photos and burned (most) of his negatives, and started his photography on a fresh new foot which helped him.
Cities and economics work this way. We must destroy old, monolithic buildings and companies, to pave way for the new. We had to destroy Microsoft to build Google and Apple. We destroyed MySpace to make Facebook. And eventually we will have to destroy Google, Facebook, Apple, in order to pave a path for the new.
Death is life’s great clearing agent. Death is what makes life possible.
Imagine, if all humans were immortal and never died. Imagine how horrible it would be. Tenured professors who never die. CEOs who never die. Film directors and other famous people who never die. How would new folks have the chance to advance?
- Uninstall old apps, and make more mental, and storage space on your devices, to start fresh.
- Delete your old shit, to start making new stuff.
- Reformat your hard drives and past (negative) memories, to start fresh. Whenever I get a new device, I do a fresh reboot and reformat, and it is always a breath of fresh air.
- Seek to destroy, not to preserve your past artwork.
- Don’t be a slave to your own past (avoid self-tyranny).
Build shit, destroy shit… just like sandcastles at the beach, with the eternal waves of time, eventually washing away our prized creations.
C’est la vie.
Philosophy: love of wisdom.
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >