Live strong and prosper.
1. What is prosperity?
Prosper, prosperity, prosperus (Latin for “doing well”)
In ancient Chinese culture, prosperity and good luck are seen as the greatest blessings.
In modern society, we see “prosperity” as mostly financial, and economic. We see prosperity as having lots of money, having lots of objects, and by having lots of power and influence.
My view of prosperity is a bit different— I see prosperity as more of creative prosperity, or artistic prosperity. I believe in the Ancient Greek notion of “happiness” which is called “eudaimonia” (human flourishing). I think prosperity is human flourishing— flourishing as a creative artist, by making lots of pictures, lots of art, and constantly growing, evolving, becoming more powerful, and more self-confident.
2. What is your ultimate aim in life?
For me, my ultimate aim is creative freedom— in order to create art, further knowledge, and share that information with others.
Money is only a means or a bridge in order to give my life the financial freedom, in order to do that creative work, study, and application.
Put in another way, the purpose of my life isn’t to make as much money as I can before I die. Rather, I just need to earn enough money to pay my rent, my coffee (very expensive), my meat and egg snacks, transportation, and website server bill.
But trust me… modern society, modern media, and modern culture has me fucked up— I sometimes think (consciously or subconsciously) the purpose of being a human is to make as much money, accumulate as much power, and accumulate as much influence before I die.
But… who is going to care how many commas or zeros I got in the bank before I die, or who will care after I’m dead? Even if I did buy that Blacked Out Maybach before I die… I can’t drive it to the underworld of Hades with me. Same thing goes with a Lamborghini— in fact, it will probably cause me to have a premature death.
3. Prosperity to me.
To prosper, I think it comes all to having the right mindset, the right mental tools to view the world, physical strength, and positive energy.
For example, I credit being able to overcome fear with my intense Stoic training (thank you to my teachers Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, Epicurus, Diogenes)— to truly ingest and assimilate their teachings, I’ve probably read their major works at least five times over.
In terms of creatively flourishing, I’ve found a lot of inspiration in ancient poets like Horace. Also, inspiration from more contemporary thinkers like Nietzsche, or Nassim Taleb.
To prosper, it is all about changing your own attitude, changing your level of focus, drive, determination, hustle, and inner-strength.
For example, we cannot change the world, but we can change ourselves. Like a photographer, we can choose to change the lens in which we see the world. For example, when shit in life gets tough, put on a fisheye lens and see the world from a more comical perspective. Or, when you’re in an argument with your life partner or loved one, put on a wide-angle lens to see the world from their perspective. Or when shit gets tough, be like a racehorse with blinders— put on a telephoto lens and just stay focused on your own personal finish line (ignoring what others do).
Prosperity ain’t money. Prosperity is an attitude of seeing the world pregnant with opportunity, seeing the joy of living, and by being creatively determined, focused, and productive.
4. Make great pictures!
Therefore, when it comes to “prosperity” or “happiness” in life… I suggest you to think in terms of creative prosperity. Does your lifestyle, objects, or tools encourage you to make more pictures and art? Or does your life discourage you from producing more pictures and art?
I think the German poet and polymath Goethe said it best:
“The causa finalis (final cause, or ultimate purpose) of a human is to make dramatic poetry!”
In other words, we can apply this saying by stating:
“The purpose of a human being is to make great pictures!”
As visual artists, we make pictures. Pictures with our camera, pictures by drawing, or any visual representation of the world. We are PHOTO GODS — we reshape, and rearrange, and reorder the molecules, atoms, and visual building blocks in the world with our camera. As photographers, we are the ultimate children of the lens, playing with making images, and playing by making pictures.
5. Never doubt yourself.
So friend, this letter is a boost for you. To boost you to higher creative levels, to boost your creative production, and above all— have unshakeable faith in yourself.
Philosophy: love of wisdom.
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
MUSE by KIM
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
Street Photography Starter Kit
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- The Film Shooter
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119