In my quest of philosophical truths– one question which has been puzzling to me:
Is the point of life to be ‘satisfied’?
I’m never satisfied
A little about myself.
I am never satisfied.
Nothing is ever good enough for me, but I often ‘satisfice’ (satisfy + suffice) for my needs. Practically speaking, I know there will never be a perfect tool or thing– thus, I generally settle for ‘80% good enough’. Or nowadays, around ‘90% good enough’.
Anyways this is the strange thing–
In modern society, we are taught to be dissatisfied is evil; a vice.
Instead, we are taught (probably by Judeo-Christian morality) that we should be satisfied with what we have. Taken further– Zen, Taoism, and Buddhism all preach the same idea:
To reach sublime bliss, don’t desire anything, don’t be attached to anything, and be supremely satisfied.
But I am still a bit suspicious of this kind of morality and philosophy —
What are the negative consequences if man were easily satisfied?
Thank God that men aren’t easily placated
I believe in the human spirit and the individual human. I believe that there is nothing more beautiful, grand, and wonderful than the human being.
This is my theory:
In order for humans to strive for more greatness, it is our dissatisfaction and implacable nature which drives us upwards to greater heights!
Dissatisfaction drives us towards greater heights.
What does a dissatisfied life look like?
This is a clear separation I want to make:
Be dissatisfied with your actions, accomplishments, and creations– not with your possessions, stuff, etc.
I think you can be BOTH dissatisfied yet appreciative of your past actions.
For example, I look at my older photographs, and I am very appreciative of them. I am so glad and have deep gratitude for my past work. Yet — I am still hungry. I still want more!
Perhaps this hunger for more is what drives us forward — to help us become a greater artist?
Strive for more
Thus friends– as fellow entrepreneurs and risk-takers and risk-makers, we must STRIVE FOR MORE! We must never stop striving for more– specifically,
We must never stop striving for us to become stronger, greater, and to create more epic shit!
Never stop striving,
Philosophy by KIM
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
Masters of Philosophy »
Personal Philosophy »
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
Zen Philosophy »
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Life Lessons »
Learn more: Start Here >