My simple luxuries in life, which aren’t expensive yet bring me a lot of joy. Feel free to experiment with any of these simple luxuries, which might brighten your mood, and add more simple joy to your life:
- Hot baths (or ice cold baths)
- Long aimless walks in the park
- Doing deadlifts or squats at the gym
- Dancing to music (alone, outdoors, with nobody to judge you). Or better yet, dancing with friends, having fun, and not caring whether you “look cool” dancing.
- Simple home cooked meal at home with family, warm, jovial and exuberant conversation that fills the room.
- Making photos that bring a smile to your face
- Reading philosophy, literature, or books which uplift your soul, and excite you!
- Visiting an art museum or exhibition, and only looking and studying pieces you like (ignoring the boring stuff).
- Making art like a child: not coloring inside the lines, having fun, and making art for the sake of it, rather than trying to please others.
- Traveling somewhere new (doesn’t have to be that far from home, expensive, nor that “exotic”). The joy of trying new foods, experiencing new cultures, and meeting new peoples.
- The fun of learning a new language (even if you only know the basics).
- Buying a new outfit on clearance, or discounted, or at the local flea market/used vintage store, and feeling like “you got a great deal.”
- Smiling and saying hello to a stranger.
- Teaching a child something new.
- Kissing your loved one to sleep, and recounting your “favorite things of today”.
- The bliss of a good espresso, hot cocoa, green matcha tea, or 100% dark chocolate.
- Learning how to cook a new meal at home, and having someone to feed it to.
- Living for a week in a foreign country, inside an Airbnb, and treating the apartment like your home away from home — exploring the local neighborhood, local restaurants, and local grocery stores.
- The joy of looking at random stuff inside grocery stores, and finding excitement.
- Playful experimentations making photos, videos, poetry, or any other form of self experimentation.
- Seeing a beautiful sunrise by the river.
- Getting a cheap massage (Chinese or Thai) for not much money, yet getting your sore knots worked out!
- Taking a nice nap in the middle of the day, and waking up with no care in the world.
- Binge watching bad movies on flights, with zero ounces of guilt.
- Creating and sharing new ideas.
What are your simple luxuries in life? Share in ERIC KIM FORUM.
Find more meaning and purpose in your life:
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
Personal Philosophy »
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
Zen Philosophy »
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Life Lessons »
Learn more: Start Here >