A mini epiphany that I had while studying the philosopher Democritus: true happiness in life is about living a DYNAMIC, changing, and evolving one —rather than a static, “safe”, and “comfortable” lifestyle.
1. What is a dynamic life?
I think I’ve known this all my life —I prefer a dynamic life and lifestyle.
A dynamic life means you’re constantly in a state of flux. You’re not just stuck in one spot. You’re constantly growing, changing, evolving, and advancing yourself. You’re growing your knowledge, muscles, and your flexibility. You’re learning wisdom from others, and constantly challenging your own beliefs, pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone, and sharing with others what you’re learning.
2. Dynamic photography, art, and travels
In photography, that means to make dynamic compositions; avoiding boring, straight, and symmetrical photos. Instead, opting for tilted frames, with asymmetric compositions, which are edgy, have movement, and yet still balanced.
I think in life, I also prefer a dynamic life —full of travel, not being rooted in just one spot (like a tree)— rather, being like a tumbleweed, and picking up things as I go.
3. Dynamic concepts
Applied to other domains: the notion of dynamism appeals to me.
With exercise and workouts, seek dynamic ones. For example, dynamic stretching instead of static stretching. Dynamic workouts instead of boring gym machines.
Children are dynamic: they get bored easily, and are like sponges, constantly learning, challenging themselves, and seeking new adventures.
What if we lived a life where we didn’t seek comfort, security, a big cozy house with a mortgage, a steady income, or guaranteed benefits? What if we lived life with more adventure, with less certainty, but with more excitement and dynamism?
I’m still not 100% sure what that would look like, but it is an interesting idea to ponder.
4. I’m a citizen of the world
In practical terms for myself, I feel more freedom and liberation not wanting or desiring “security”, “roots”, or a house to call home.
Rather, I feel at home anywhere I am in the world —whether on my friend Alexander Amy’s couch, whether at my cousin Patty’s house in New Jersey, whether I’m at an Airbnb in Berlin, with my friends Martin and Marketa in Prague, or house/cat sitting for a friend in Marseille.
I don’t want to seek a static life where I suddenly make a bunch of money, and can live at home for the rest of my life. I always want to be a little uncomfortable in life, so I prevent myself from becoming too static and complacent.
It also means in my life and thinking —to always challenge my beliefs, and to not stay trapped in my own personal philosophy. Also, to not define myself or pigeonhole myself in a genre or to be confined to a static biography.
ERIC KIM is constantly in the making; becoming something different — better, smarter, stronger, yet sometimes more foolish, silly, or childish.
So friend, I don’t know what your life situation is, but — let’s both seek to live a more dynamic life.
5. Dynamic ideas we can integrate into our lives
Easy dynamic ideas to integrate:
- Dynamic exercises at the gym or at home (no gym machines)
- Dynamic diet (don’t always eat the same thing; have variety in our diet)
- Dynamic art (don’t just be a photographer, experiment with all visual arts, dance, make music, films, etc).
- Dynamic lifestyle: opt for more freedom, flexibility, and optionality whenever you have the chance
- Dynamic personality: don’t stick with one persona for yourself; your personality is always changing and in flux. Don’t become boxed into a charicature or yourself (don’t become Will Ferrell and become trapped in just one type of personality).
Be dynamic dynamite!
Find more meaning and purpose in your life:
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- STREET NOTES $ 19
MUSE by KIM
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
Street Photography Starter Kit
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- The Film Shooter
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29