In seeking “happiness” I’ve discovered that happiness isn’t an emotion, owning a lot of stuff, or having wealth and honors. Instead, happiness is “eudaimonia”— human flourishing!
What does human flourishing mean?
To flourish comes from Latin (“flor”)— like floral.
I love this visual. Imagine: a verdant green field of flowers, vibrantly blooming, and flourishing with great delight. Sunshine, golden dew, and bright light. Hope, optimism, joy, and growth!
This is what I think we should seek — our own flourishing. Our own creative flourishing. For our soul to flourish, full of noble thoughts, valor, courage, and virtue.
To flourish means to grow brightly.
If you’re reading this, I consider you as an artist-philosopher. You’re both.
You’re an artist. You will flourish as an artist by continuing to develop and cultivate your skills. By constant practice and production of your own art, and learning from other master artists from the past.
Also to flourish is active — you can only flourish through action and doing stuff. For example, your physical health and strength will flourish by lifting heavy stuff at the gym, or doing intense workouts at the park. Your wisdom will flourish if you continue to study great philosophy from the past, and also spend a lot of time in contemplation, meditation, thinking, and writing down your own philosophical thoughts. Your relationships will flourish if you spend 100% of your attention with your loved ones, and to speak as frankly and openly with your friends, just as if you were conversing with yourself.
Let us not seek to be “happier”, but let us seek to flourish more!
Make more art, do more deadlifts, spend more intense dinner conversations with close friends and family, challenge and build your own ideas, and never stop seeking more wisdom, truth, and beauty in life.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >