I’ve been asking a lot of people about how they would define happiness. I figured I’d also answer it for myself:
My simple definition of happiness is currently this:
Do everything you want in a single day without getting tired. Employ every day to the fullest! Don’t do what you don’t want to do.
1. Not getting tired
I’ve discovered for myself, being tired is worse than feeling stressed, anxious, or bored. When I’m tired, I have no motivation to do anything — which to me, is the worst mental state.
Therefore for myself, I’m constantly self-experimenting to discover how to have the maximum amount of energy in a day, with minimal exhaustion or tiredness.
As of now, I discovered my personal hacks:
- Don’t eat breakfast or lunch, fast until dinner (intermittent fasting keeps me sharper during the day, and more energized). I do get hungry, but I’m actually more energized, sharp, keen, and aware when I’m hungry! And when it’s dinner time, I go HAM (hard as a mother….f) and eat unlimited eggs, leafy greens, and fatty meats (strict ketogenic diet). Then I take a shower, read a little, chat with Cindy and count our wins and blessings from the day, and then pass out (around 10pm). Then wake up the next day around 6-9am.
- Lots of black coffee, black and green tea, and 100% cacao powder during the day. Keeps me energized, and pumped up.
- Hard knocks: Energizing hip hop music, like JAY Z, KANYE, PUSHA T, KENDRICK LAMAR. Their music gets me in the zone, like Silicon Valley investor Ben Horowitz (apparently friends with Kanye).
- Working out in morning: A nice walk in the park, and chin ups and dips/planches in the park gym. Nice chats with the guys working out there, and enjoying the view of the trees. I find trees to energize me– I appreciate how long they’ve been around, and I theorize that green and verdant colors are naturally stimulating and beautiful to humans (we thrive off lush, green, biological areas).
- Going for a walk when I’m tired or burn out: Allows my mind to recharge. I’ll either walk with my camera, or without anything. No music, no phone.
2. Employ everyday to the fullest
This is connected to the first point: how can I make the fullest of everyday, assuming if I’ll die tonight in my sleep? Because one day I will.
To me this is a good mental exercise, because it forces me to NOT waste my time, energy, and human metabolism on stuff I don’t find personally meaningful to myself. This means I best leverage my “Archimedes lever” (my strengths in life) to make a meaningful impact in the world — a combination of blogging, art, video production, writing, philosophy, art, photography, and entrepreneurship.
The best way to employ everyday to the fullest:
If I knew I’d die tonight in my sleep, what would I make, write, or create today?
And more importantly:
What would I not get distracted with today?
3. Don’t do what you don’t want to do
Lastly I think true happiness is not doing what you don’t want to do. This is a “via negativa” way of obtaining happiness, via Nassim Taleb (Antifragile book).
Besides feeding yourself, drinking water, not freezing to death, and paying your taxes — nothing else is really “necessary”.
So friend ask yourself,
What do I do on a daily basis which I consider a “necessity”– but actually it is an obligation forced onto me by someone else?
My definition of happiness thus includes,
Not doing anything which is superimposed onto you by someone else.
That’s why I hustled so hard to become a self-employed entrepreneur— I love working hard, but I hate doing stuff superimposed on me by others, which I consider a waste of time. This is why I can never have a boss.
In your quest for happiness, my suggestion is this:
On a daily basis, do more of what you want to do and create, and do less of what you don’t want to do.
Zen of ERIC
New book, ZEN OF ERIC dropping soon. Subscribe to ERIC KIM NEWSLETTER to be notified when it’s live!
Find more meaning and purpose in your life:
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
MUSE by KIM
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
Street Photography Starter Kit
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- The Film Shooter
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290