A practical life philosophy for you: to be happier in life, seek to maximize the joy in your life!
First of all, let’s discuss the difference between “happiness” and “joy”.
To me, happiness is too abstract of a concept. I prefer “joy”; it is more practical and concrete.
To me, joy is the sound and feeling of your soul singing. I feel the most joy when I’m doing active things; when I’m actively writing, actively thinking, actively waking around and making photos, when I’m actively reading, or challenging myself. I feel joy from the simple things as well: chatting with strangers, enjoying a cup of coffee, enjoying a walk in the park and smiling at the people and trees, hearing the chirping sounds of the birds, playing with my niece Amelia, etc.
I feel great joy when I’m teaching, innovating new processes, making slideshows, making music, and enjoying the artwork of others. For example, I’ve been really feeling a lot of great joy watching truly great cinema: pretty much anything by Stanley Kubrick (2001 space odyssey, Spartacus), or getting philosophically challenged by watching the MATRIX. Or I feel great joy when I’m analyzing the photography of the master photographers, especially the old school Magnum guys (Cartier Bresson, Phillip Jones Griffiths, Robert Capa, David Chim Seymour, etc). Or the colorful work of the masters of art like Matisse, Picasso, or Monet.
The Two-Pronged Approach
As an artist (yes, you’re an artist); to maximize joy in your artwork I suggest the two pronged approach:
- Feel great joy while you’re actively creating your own artwork
- Feel great joy when you’re actively studying/consuming/analyzing the artwork or philosophy of others.
I also think if you’re a philosopher (if you’re curious to learning more about yourself), the two pronged approach also works:
- Feel great joy discovering inner truths about yourself (know thyself) and discovering more truths about life in general.
- Learning from the master philosophers from the past, and also challenging their beliefs and thoughts.
Give it a go
I think this simple two pronged approach will give you more happiness and joy in your life.
Try it out:
- Make more stuff (make more photos, make more poetry, videos… Anything!)
- Study more great masters from the past, anyone who inspires or motivates you.
Read More: THE JOYFUL PHOTOGRAPHER >
Find more meaning and purpose in your life:
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.