A recent thought I had: in order to empower others, you must (first) be selfish.
Empower yourself before empowering others
Let me explain my reasoning.
First of all, before you help others, you must first help yourself. How do you expect to empower others and uplift others if you first don’t empower yourself?
A lot of us (myself included) let ourselves be miserable. We feel guilty/evil/wrong to help ourselves. I think if you’ve been raised Christian, Asian Confucian, or your family has Jewish, Protestant, English roots, you can relate.
In many societies to help yourself (the individual) is seen as antisocial and evil. Why? Of course it’s in the best interest of society, your local community, and your tribe to first take care of the collective. Whenever the individual favors him or herself, the collective feels threatened. Thus we have been trained/indoctrinated ever since we’ve been children that being selfish and self-focused is bad/”evil”.
For myself, I feel my ultimate purpose in life is to empower others and all of humanity (and future generations of humanity). However that’s only my imperative; you shouldn’t feel pressured to follow the same code of ethics as myself. You must dictate your own purpose in life.
Find the time to reflect on what you desire out of life
The sad thing is that so many of us are so busy with work, living, and our families/jobs/duties/obligations that we never have the opportunity or energy to ask ourselves, “What do I want out of life? What do I want to accomplish in life while I’m still alive? What do I think is my purpose in my life, and what do I wish to devote my life to?” Too often than not, we blindly follow the rules/morals/ethics of society, the whims of our parents and family, rather than challenging them.
Being selfish isn’t evil.
To conclude, don’t feel bad, guilty, or” sinful” by being selfish, self-centered, or self-focused. It’s not bad to be selfish.
If you want to be altruistic towards society and humanity, first seek to empower yourself. Be very selfish in that regard.
Ways to be selfish in a positive way:
- Prioritize your own mental and physical health before helping your family, friends, or others. For myself, I must exercise, go to the gym, go on long walks alone, take photos for myself, read, write, make videos, and do creative work. Even if I have some business duties to do or even needing to help Cindy or my family, I first prioritize myself. Because if I first take care of myself, then I will have the positivity, energy, and power to help Cindy, my family, and community.
- Ruthlessly cut and prune away negative people from your life: It doesn’t matter if they’re “friends”, family, or even your job/boss. You must make it your imperative to get rid of all cancerous, negative, and toxic people from your life. I did this with my dad, and I’ve been much happier and productive ever since. And now that I’m in a better mental state after cutting my dad from my life, I’ve been able to be a better husband to Cindy, and friend to all of humanity.
- Empower yourself with the tools, equipment, food, coffee and things which are necessary for you to be productive and create what you desire. Don’t worry about being “wasteful” or “imprudent”. For example, some of us (myself included) feel guilty spending money on ourselves, even if it may improve our lives, because we feel that by spending money on ourselves, we are somehow hurting our family by having less money to spend on them.
Further reading on why we think being selfish is “evil”
To learn and understand more about the virtues of selfishness, I recommend reading:
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche
- On the Genealogy of Morals by Nietzsche
- The Antichrist by Nietzsche
Find more meaning and purpose in your life:
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- The Film Shooter
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
Street Photography Starter Kit
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
MUSE by KIM
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79