I believe we should seek this duality in life– to be BOTH social AND solitary. Or in Kendrick Lamar’s words, an “anti-social extrovert.”
I believe in this idea that we need balance in life– but that means, we must embrace the extremes.
For example, if you want to really be a social person, you must know how to embrace solitary-ness.
If you want to be truly solitary, you must know how to be extremely social.
Think of the popular ‘yin and yang’ concept– you need black in order to have the white; you need the white in order to have the black.
War and Peace
I am anti-war, yet– I know it is part of human nature to need BOTH war and peace in order to prosper.
We need war to shake people up a bit, and prevent ourselves from falling into indulgence and softening-luxury. We also need war in order to appreciate peace.
Fasting and Feasting
I follow “intermittent fasting” quiet religiously. I don’t eat breakfast or lunch, and when I eat dinner and break my fast, I feast. In my vernacular terms, I go “H.A.M.” (hard as a motherfucker) when I eat dinner. I allow myself unlimited portions of eggs, fatty meats, and leafy greens (and of course, kimchi, because I am Korean).
You would not appreciate the taste of food without hunger. You would not appreciate water without having thirst.
We need this duality to feel any sort of happiness or joy in life.
We would not appreciate rest if we did not exert ourselves enough physically during the day. Perhaps this is why people are having such problems with insomnia and falling asleep now in modern times– not enough physically-taxing activity.
Also, perhaps this is why people don’t enjoy music, film, or art as much anymore — we are over-stimulated by it! There is too much of it! I still remember when watching a movie was a rare treat and occasion — you might watch a film once every other month, and shell over your precious $5 to watch the film! Now with unlimited streaming and Netflix, we no longer appreciate the films– we simply let ourselves get sedated by this media (we are now a ‘nation of sedation‘).
Anyways, taking it back to the first point– to truly evolve as an artist, you need BOTH solitary isolation, as well as creative promiscuousness. You need to spend long periods of time to isolate yourself from the rest of the world to hone your own individual vision and voice. Yet, you also need to “re-emerge” from the cave every once in a while, to actually interact with the real world.
We need both!
I am one of the most extroverted people I know. I love people. Yet, I go through intense periods of creative isolation– when I don’t check my email for months at a time, and I’ve been phone-less for about 2 years now. It is almost impossible to contact me; and I do this in order for myself to have fewer distractions– to create my own magnum opuses in my creative work.
However, I am still extremely extroverted when I meet people “in real life”. I’m becoming more and more anti-social on social media and the internet, yet, I am MORE engaged in real life. I spend more time focusing on my friends, and I appreciate their friendship more. I am also becoming more and more picky with my friends. I would rather have 5 intense soul-mate relationship-friendships, than 500 acquaintances.
I deleted my Instagram about a year and a half ago, and it has been the best thing for my artistic development. Fewer distractions of the silly trends on social media– more focus on creating enduring works (hopefully more enduring than bronze, in the words of my friend Horace).
Ironically as a result, after deleting Instagram, I’ve become MORE prolific in my photography. I’m shooting more, recording more videos, and analyzing more visual artwork and watching more great films.
Social isolation is effective as an artist, by ignoring what all the other artists are doing — and focusing on your own self-development.
While you don’t need to be as extreme as me, I would recommend you to go through period “social media fasts”. For example, spend a week or a month not using social media, and see if you feel artistically more productive and healthier.
Or just spend periods without your phone.
Embrace both extremes
If you’re more of an introvert– find out ways how you can (sometimes) be very extroverted.
If you’re an extrovert, spend more time alone.
Embrace both extremes to evolve in your artistry, and as an individual.
FOCUS ON YOU.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- The Film Shooter
MUSE by KIM
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
Street Photography Starter Kit
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10