Ever since I was a kid– I was always seeking the truth of ‘happiness’. I tried to first of all define ‘happiness’, then figuring out how to achieve it.
My simple idea:
Happiness is doing what you want to do, and NOT doing what you don’t want to do.
I don’t think that happiness has to do with owning stuff, acquiring stuff, or is related with money.
I ultimately think that ‘happiness’ is freedom of action. Freedom of what to do (positive action) and freedom of what NOT to do (negative action).
How NOT to do what you DON’T want to do.
I actually think happiness is mostly ‘via negativa’ (in the words of Nassim Taleb). What we decide to remove, subtract, or NOT to do is what brings us more happiness in life.
99% of people I know don’t like their jobs, or would prefer NOT to show up at work everyday.
I think one of the first steps to happiness-freedom is this:
The great thing about becoming self-employed is this:
You decide how much to work, or how little to work, and you can determine when to work and when NOT to work.
Thus, if you want to seek freedom in life, become an entrepreneur.
How to do what you want to do
This is one of the most difficult things in life:
Figuring out what you really like to do– purely for yourself, for the sake of it.
For myself, I enjoy taking pictures, making videos, writing, writing poetry, making beats, learning, having engaging conversations with friends and family– all for the sake of it!
In other words:
What do you actually enjoy doing– while having fun?
And not only that but:
That thing you enjoy doing– how does it challenge you, develop you, and grow you?
Ultimately to figure out what you like doing must be self-dictated. Don’t wait around for people tell you what to do. Don’t read books on telling what you “should” do. Determine and dictate what you desire to do with your (short) life.
One of the best mental states to be in is a state of ‘flow‘. This state is when you are pushing your creative limits to the maximum, and you are so enraptured with focus, that your ego, time, and self seem to evaporate.
Generally to achieve a flow state– you must be doing something active. In other words, it is difficult to achieve this flow state by doing something passive (consumptive behaviors). Rather, I feel that we can best achieve this state of flow through producing– through what I refer to as ‘producerism‘. The basic idea is this:
Let us spend 90% of our time and energy producing and making stuff, and only 10% of our time and effort consuming.
In other words:
Produce more than you consume.
The creative duty
Never stop making, creating, exploring, learning, and sharing.
This is your duty. Oh yeah, and don’t forget to have fun while you’re at it!
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Take your street photography to the next level:
- August 27 (Friday): SEATTLE MASTER STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NOW LIVE!]
- September 11 (Saturday): DOWNTOWN LA ADVANCED STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NEW!]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.