Do you respect yourself? Meaning– do you trust yourself? Do you consult your own conscience before consulting others? Can you look back into your own soul, and truly see and understand your own thinking and intentions? Do you have high regard, consideration, and do you trust in yourself?
The tricky thing about ‘respecting’ others
This is the tricky thing in life:
Not everyone interprets “respect” in the same way.
For example in different cultures, ‘respect’ is seen differently. In Asian-Confucian society, respect is seen through quiet obedience. In American society, respect is seen through heaping of praise in an overt manner.
And even more problematic:
You cannot force others to “respect” you.
Therefore from a Stoic and rational perspective– it seems the only thing we should focus in our lives is self-respect. Self-admiration, and self-consolation of our own conscience, and our own self-judgement in life.
What does ‘self-respect’ mean?
Simply put, to me, self-respect means:
- Not compromising your inner-vision
- Not ignoring your inner-voice
- Not obeying the commands of others if it contradicts what you believe in
- Not admiring the opinion of others over your own opinion
I think in modern life, it is difficult to have self-respect. Why? We are told to be “selfless” (Christian morality) which is this:
Being selfish and self-centered/self-focused is evil.
Once again let us consider the words here. If you tell someone that they are “selfish” you are essentially saying: “You are a horrible and evil person”.
However, perhaps a better wording or phrase is “self-focused”. This sounds better in American English, because to “focus” is seen as a positive trait.
Anyways, modern morals and ethics dictate that we must respect the opinion of others over our own opinion.
This is a problem– this squashes the individual, and makes our individual and self-opinion small. As a consequence, I think our own self-esteem and our own self-respect is belittled, and chipped away slowly (from childhood until adult-hood).
In praise of stubbornness
Whenever we don’t obey the commands of others, or when we don’t live the way in which others think we should live, we are seen as “ego-centric”, “selfish”, “stubborn”, or an “asshole”.
For example, most people love iPhones, and their Apple devices, yet called Steve Jobs an asshole, and saw him (mostly) in a negative light. Sure– they loved the Apple products, yet they saw a personal fault in the man (Steve Jobs).
Yet– it is Steve Jobs’ ruthless quest for perfection is what made Apple products so good. Let us consider the opposite: if Steve Jobs wasn’t an asshole– what would the iPhone look like, and would it even exist? If Steve Jobs “listened more to the opinion of others”, the modern iPhone would probably look something like a mash-up between a Windows phone and an old Nokia-Razr-flip phone.
This is my simple tip:
Once someone calls you arrogant, stubborn, or an asshole, you’re probably doing something right.
Neve betray yourself.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
MUSE by KIM
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
Street Photography Starter Kit
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- The Film Shooter
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50