Every moment you are becoming something– something else.
For example, consider inside your body (right now), all the trillions of molecular processes happening now. The proteins being created, consumed, and used.
Your intellect is constantly evolving and changing. Everyday you have different impressions, and different visual/audio/spatial stimuli.
In life, I think this notion of ‘improvement’ is silly. You don’t got anything you need to “improve”.
If you think that you need to ‘improve’ something in your life, it is somehow signaling to yourself that you feel deficient in something. But what do you lack? Nothing.
And– do you need to become anything or anyone else besides yourself?
State of becoming in photography
I very much like this idea in photography and art; we are constantly in a state of becoming. We are constantly changing how we see the world, how we make photos, and whatever we find interesting.
We are constantly changing our tools, our processing methods, and our own visual acuity is in flux — some things become brighter in our eyes, some things more dim. We are becoming both more near-sighted and far-sighted at the same time.
Thus the secret in photography is this:
Don’t seek to ‘improve’ your photography. Just keep shooting! By continuing to shoot, you’re naturally going to change, evolve, and become more as a photographer.
“You never step into the same river twice” – Heraclitus
What is so exciting in photography is this:
No two scenes are ever alike.
Also, even if the two scenes were exactly alike, YOU’RE NOT EXACTLY ALIKE! Today you’re a totally different person than you were yesterday. And tomorrow you will be a different person from who you are today.
So realize this fact:
In life, both others and ourselves are constantly changing.
The world is constantly changing, and so are we.
The self-tyrant never allows themselves to change, evolve, or become anything else.
Never allow yourself to be a self-tyrant. Allow yourself to be open and free, to become anything and everything you desire to become.
Love the flux!
TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition$ 12 Add to cart
My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus$ 10 – $ 29 Select options
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
$ 77Add to cart
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
$ 19Add to cart
ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and PhotographyRead more
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
$ 199Add to cart
FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition$ 19 Add to cart
Street Photography Starter Kit
$ 500Add to cart
MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition
$ 15Add to cart
Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online CourseEnroll now!
Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online CourseEnroll now!
30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition$ 10 Add to cart
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >