What is happiness? Is happiness important?
Currently my thought about ‘happiness’ is this:
Happiness is the body communicating to your mind that you’re physically/physiologically strong and powerful.
Furthermore– to become “happier” simply means to become stronger.
For example, I am happy when I am lifting weights at the gym. I feel calm, relaxed, zen, stoic, and strong. I feel ‘happier’ when I witness myself become stronger. There are few things which are satisfying as achieving a new “1 rep max” in your deadlift or any of your lifts.
Happiness as an artist
I think ‘happiness’ in art is this:
The joy of being enraptured in the zen-zone/flow of active creation.
I also feel that we are happiest as artists while we are creating.
And we feel ‘happier’ as artists when we witness and see ourselves evolving, changing, and becoming both stronger and more supple/simple in our artistic vision/output.
It seems on a base level, the first goal is this:
Then the next goal is this:
Everyday strive to become ‘happier’.
Happiness isn’t base pleasure
Let us not get suckered into thinking that happiness is owning fancy stuff, having a lot of money, earning more money, or indulging in more sexual-food-drink-drug-alcohol pleasures.
The closest thing to happiness is the Greek (Aristotle) notion of ‘eudaemonia’– happiness as “human/creative flourishing”.
First, become physically stronger
The first goal: become physically stronger.
Start powerlifting at the gym (both ladies and men, and it doesn’t matter your age). Deadlifts, squats, chinups, dumbbell press are my favorites. Stick to the simple ‘1 rep max’ style training. Strive to increase your maximum weight by 5 pounds a week.
To supplement your muscular and physical strength growth, eat a lot of meat (beef, chicken, pork, fish, etc) and lots of eggs (yes, eat the yolks too). It seems that protein is the only essential thing we need to grow our muscles and become physically stronger. It seems that plant proteins work (soy, etc), but it seems evident that meat is a more supreme nutrient source to optimize muscular strength growth.
Second, become an artist-philosopher
What I’ve gathered so far is this:
The apex we can reach as an individual is a hybrid of both artist and philosopher.
The artist-philosopher as an individual who is extremely productive in their creative output, while also thinking deeply on the significance of the artwork they create.
Third, never stop experimenting.
It seems the only way to live life is to become ‘happier’ (indefinitely, until you die). This means to avoid boredom, avoid lack of challenge, and to avoid ennui.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.