Why is it that we idolize things (cars, objects, devices, homes, stuff)? Shouldn’t we be idolizing people and their character-traits instead?
Why do we desire things/stuff?
This thought occurred to me as I was walking around the block, and also thinking about the American desire/dream/lust for cars.
Many Americans aspire towards owning a certain type of car, to make themselves feel stronger, sexier, more powerful, more ‘successful’, faster, more masculine (or feminine), ‘respected’, etc.
For example, when we look at sports cars, the design is often fierce, muscular, strong, fast, and powerful. But why desire an object to give us those feelings– perhaps we should focus that energy on improving and strengthening our own bodies instead? Why does it matter if your car has 400 horsepower but you cannot even deadlift 400 pounds (even worse– having a fast car, but not even being able to run a lap around a track without losing your breath).
Or what is the point of owning a sexy car, or a sexy object/anything–if we don’t consider our own bodies sexy when we look at ourselves naked in the mirror? Shouldn’t we focus on admiring ourselves, and our own personal aesthetics?
Look up to your heroes
So my basic idea is this:
It is good to admire/idolize people; not stuff/objects/things.
For example, I really like the strongman Eddie Hall. He is a beast– and whenever I attempt a new PR for my deadlift, I think about him and his beastly 1000+pound deadlift.
Only people are beautiful.
As a general shift, let us admire people, traits; not stuff.
Let us admire the courage and valor of a spartan 300 warrior, not the fashion of an (insecure) person trying to peacock. Let us admire the brazenness of Mother Teresa or Gandhi, instead of admiring the watch or a bag of someone else. Let us admire the speed of Usain Bolt, not the speed of a sports car.
Is a sign and a symptom that modern-day capitalism/consumerism is a degenerate one because we have shifted from admiring heroes and individuals (Ancient Greek times) into admiring objects, things, and consumables? (Modern day consumerist economics).
Why have we lost our faith in our fellow men? Why have we lost the faith in geniuses, and those with a brave heart and soul?
I cannot say– but I know for myself I will try to shift my thinking this way:
Admire things less; admire people more.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >