A mini epiphany I had: If you’re not sure what to do with your life, or what direction to take it— consider your lifelong journey to be this: focus all your energy, ideas, and focus in becoming the most fully-developed ARTIST-PHILOSOPHER you can.
Download PDF: Artist-philosopher
What are you talking about ERIC?
Okay, let me explain my thoughts and ideas:
First of all, we are all going to die, whether we like it or not. At best, we will live until age 90. At worst, we will die today.
Anyways, knowing that death is something (no matter how rich, religious, or smart we are) we cannot cheat, the prime question is this:
What should we do with our life? Specifically, how can we best utilize our time, energy, attention, focus, talents, and strengths while we’re still alive on planet earth?
Cindy made a film on me while in Marseille, when I first shared this concept of “artist-philosopher.” I think ultimately the idea comes from Nietzsche.
Anyways, what is an artist philosopher?
First, what is an artist?
Well, an artist is an individual who likes to make stuff. Who likes to make visual art, sonic art (music), who likes to write and/or perform music, and someone who likes to have fun and experiment. If you like visual things, audio things, or have any appreciation of aesthetics, you are (already) an artist.
Secondly, what is a philosopher?
A philosopher is someone who is a “lover of wisdom” (philo=love, sophia=wisdom). Therefore if you’re an individual who is curious on how to live the best life possible, what the meaning of life is, or how to find more happiness/fulfillment in life, you’re a philosopher.
Being a philosopher doesn’t necessarily mean you must be super-wise. On the contrary, I think the best philosophers are children, who are constantly questioning, challenging the status quo, who are curious to ask “why?”, and who aren’t satisfied with “grown-up” answers.
How we can apply this line of thinking to our life
I believe in practical philosophy. I don’t care about metaphysics or other fancy mumbo jumbo stuff in philosophy on determinism or free will which isn’t very practical in day-to-day living. Instead, I want to know the answer(s) to this question:
How can I best live my life to the fullest and share that information/knowledge/wisdom with others?
1. Develop yourself as an artist
First of all, the artist part: how can we become the most fully-developed artists possible?
Well, my suggestion is this: explore ALL forms of art. Make anything you want or are curious about. Make photos, paintings, sculptures, poetry, film, whatever. The most genius artists of history (like Leonardo da Vinci) was skilled not only in painting and the visual arts, but also skilled in engineering, physics, and science.
2. Develop your philosophy
Secondly, how can we become the most fully-developed philosophers possible? Simple: Never stop learning, questioning your ideas and beliefs, and continue to discover new truths about life, living, and what it means to live a fulfilling, satisfying, and epic life.
That means study philosophers who you’re interested in, and consume/digest their ideas. But at a certain point, we must cut the umbilical cord with our masters, and we must be brave enough to venture on our own path.
For example for a few years, I was probably studying and reading philosophy related stuff for around 3-6 hours a day. Nowadays I don’t read much; I’m trying to put all of my own distilled thoughts into (digital) paper, and trying to share what I have learned.
Also realize that as an artist-philosopher, you’re always in a state of flux. Meaning, you’re always changing, evolving, adapting, growing, and dying/decaying at the same time. This means, don’t feel like you must discover “one ultimate truth in life” or the “grand unifying theory” in life. Don’t hold onto your past self, your past memories, or your past ideas, beliefs, or thoughts. Rather, life and nature thrives on the new —so keep making new art, sharing new ideas, and innovating with new techniques and approaches in your philosophy and art!
Never stop striving,
Find more meaning and purpose in your life:
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
Personal Philosophy »
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
Zen Philosophy »
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Life Lessons »
Learn more: Start Here >