There is obviously much to critique in the world. But rather than complaining what we hate in the world (the ‘commentator’ mentality, which actually doesn’t take much personal courage), perhaps we should strive to actually BECOME the change which we wish to see in the world!
Perhaps we should be the starting-point. This means if there are things we critique in the behavior of others (ethics), perhaps we should try to change ourselves. This also means for us not to engage in any activities which we criticize in others.
For example, I hate when people discourage me. Thus, I never discourage others (I only encourage others).
Or I hate it when websites have pop-ups to tell me to signup for their newsletter. Thus, I have never instituted a popup on my blog, and I will never.
If I don’t like it when others gossip about others, perhaps I shouldn’t gossip about others. Or if I don’t like it when others criticize others, perhaps I shouldn’t criticize others, and simply mind my own business.
Words are cheap. Action is expensive.
Children learn via their parents’ actions. For example, I learned the true value of love and sacrifice via my mom– seeing her actions. Sacrificing everything for me and my sister.
For example if you’re a parent and you don’t want your kids to smoke, you probably shouldn’t be a smoker. Or if you curse and you don’t want your children to curse, perhaps you shouldn’t curse (at all). But if you’re like me (I don’t mind cursing), curse around your kids– it is fine.
I really like this notion of ‘virtue signaling’, which I learned from Nassim Taleb. The notion of ‘virtue signaling’ is this:
When you act or say something very publicly, in order to show off to others how ‘virtuous’ you are.
This is why I’m always hyper-suspicious when I hear “self-righteous” people talking about being anti-consumerism, saving the environment, and a billion other topics. I’m always curious:
Are they acting this way or talking about these topics, because they want to be deemed as “virtuous” and “worthy of love/admiration” from others, or because they truly believe it?
Jesus said something like if you give alms, don’t let your other hand know. Or if you’re going to pray, don’t do it out-loud in the synagogues in order to virtue-signal.
And how do you know whether your own actions are genuine? That is for you to determine.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- The Film Shooter
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
MUSE by KIM
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
Street Photography Starter Kit
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19