In life’s action-packed RPG, remember– you’re the hero!
1. What makes a more interesting movie or story?
What types of movies do you like watching? What kind of books do you like reading?
Why not strive to live your own ideal life in the maximally interesting, challenging, and fun way?
2. Don’t shirk from difficulty
Let us assume your life was an RPG:
Would you prefer to be bored, or to go out and adventure?
In video games (RPG’s in particular), it seems we like to:
- Level up
- Gain experience points
- Gain rare items which augment our power
- To challenge others
- To quest and discover new things, places, and abilities.
Why not do this in real life?
3. Follow your heroes
Think about great individuals in history (real, fictional), and strive to emulate their behavior.
Plutarch’s Lives of the noble Grecians and Romans is a great wealth of information about great individuals in the past whom we can strive to emulate.
Or we can read biographies of individuals who we admire. For example I loved the Walter Isaacson biography on Steve Jobs, the Ashlee Vance biography on Elon Musk. I can’t wait until Walter Isaacson does a biography on Kanye West.
4. Supersede your heroes!
Then the next goal:
Keep your heroes in mind, then seek to become MORE than them!
For example, I admire all these great philosophers from the past. But I desire to become MORE than them!
For example, I have always wondered:
Why haven’t there been any powerlifting philosophers in history?
Certainly a philosopher who built themselves the apex of physical AND philosophical strength would be 1000x more epic than a philosopher who only focused on mental culture.
5. ERIC KIM LIFE GOALS
- Philosophy with the depth of a Heraclitus
- Philosophy with the courage of the thinking of a Nietzsche
- Philosophy with the practicality of a Nassim Taleb
- The body of a Hercules
- The brazenness of an Achilles
- The brashness of a Kanye West
- The big vision of a Elon Musk
- The aesthetics of a Steve Jobs
- The poetry of a Horace
- The selflessness of a Jesus
Never stop striving towards your ideals (and beyond!)
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Is Productivity a Virtue or Vice?
- Why Do We Prize the Rare?
- The Joy of Uncertainty
- How Should I Best Use My Time and Life?
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 7th, 2020: ERIC KIM BLOGGING MASTER CLASS (Online, via Zoom). [Register Intent Here]
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.