What is the best way to use my time and life?
1. Photography and art-creation
Your impetus to create artwork. The camera as your primary tool.
2. Read great literature and philosophy
My favorite philosophers include Diogenes, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Nietzsche, Nassim Taleb, Demetrius, Epictetus, Epicirus, and most of the pre-socratic philosophers (philosophers who came before Socrates) such as Heraclitus, Empedocles.
Build your muscles, and physical strength. Tons of fun to constantly increase your ‘one rep max’ in deadlift, squat, and dumbbell press. Even make a game to see how many consecutive chin-ups you can do in one go.
For myself, seeing my body physically get more muscular has been phenomenal. Muscles and physical strength don’t lie (physics). Easier to track your progress in gaining physical strength, than gaining ‘wisdom’ or ‘artistic prowess’.
4. Allow yourself to engage in ‘degenerate’ behavior
Allow yourself to do stupid ‘degenerate’ behaviors! Go to the arcade and play nonsensical games! Read tabloid magazines! See silly stuff on the TV.
If you want to be more ‘productive’ and generate more, perhaps we must also become more DEGENERATE in some aspects of our lives.
Think much, reflect much, and meditate much — then distill your thoughts into writing.
We all write (consider how many text messages and emails you send everyday). Why not just channel this writing to your own blog?
Why write? To me, writing is one of the best ways to distill your thoughts and ideas, and to effectively share them widely with others.
6. Just write it!
I think generally our difficulty of writing is this:
We have been scared by our teachers to write.
We have been punished so much for our ‘bad’ writing. Honestly, I don’t think there is good or bad writing. I do prefer writing when it is clear. But ultimately I prefer writing which I feel is authentic — in which the writer isn’t using big and fancy thesaurus-words to ‘flex’ how smart and literate they are. I prefer writing which is simple, strong, and I can get a sense of the character and soul of the writer.
In other words, write how you talk (in ‘real life’). Keep it conversational, and ultimately your purpose in writing is to better reveal to yourself your own thoughts and beliefs. That is what an ‘essay’ is (an ‘essay’ as an ‘assay’ or attempt to better understand an idea). We must think BEYOND the ridiculous 5-paragraph “hamburger” essay we’ve learned in school.
Long story short:
Just write it!
Conclusion: Don’t take life too seriously (have fun!)
My thought about life:
Life is infinitely precious, yet at the same time, I think when we take life too seriously, that is when we start to get depressed and down.
Too much focus on external forms of success ain’t good for us. Aiming for personal success– this is the goal.
Have fun in life! Create a bunch of stuff! Share it! Have fun, smile, laugh, play, run and dance around, and share your thanksgiving of life, love, and companionship with the world!
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >