A simple way to think about and approach life:
Only dedicate your energies on things you care for.
Curate = care
To ‘curate‘ your photos means to select the photos you care for.
This is my thought:
The word ‘care‘ is connected with the notion of “concern/action”
Considering our lives are short and limited, what do you care enough about [concerned about] that you want to ACT upon it?
What I care for
Knowing that my life is limited, and I only have X amount of energy everyday — what do I, Eric Kim truly care for?
I care to dedicate and devote my attention, time, energy, strength, and talents to create ideas which I hope empowers others.
Who is the human being I care for the most? Cindy. Then my sister/mom, then family/friends.
You need to have many things you DON’T care for in life [in order to thrive]
The basic notion of ‘caring’ is this:
Accept your limited time, energy, and life. Don’t squander any of your life-force on what you don’t care about.
And this is the great thing:
You can dictate for yourself what you care for and what you don’t care for.
What I don’t care for
If you’re not sure what you care about, perhaps the effective strategy is create a list of things you DON’T care for.
- Don’t care for money: I like paying for rent, eating meat, buying coffee, etc. But I don’t care to use money as a point-system to quantify my ‘progress’ or ‘self-worth’ in life.
- Don’t care for fame: I’ve got famous, and while it is a ‘net positive’ to be famous [especially within a small niche], I honestly don’t care for fame too much. Generally speaking people think that fame is useful to accumulate more money. But considering I don’t care for money, I also don’t care for fame. I only care for fame insofar much as my ability to impact the lives/minds of others [hopefully for the better].
- Don’t care for material possessions: Besides owning a matte black Lamborghini, I don’t care much for physical or material possessions. Clothing = all black merino wool clothing [I only need 2 pairs]. For creative activities, all I need is a RICOH GR III, my MacBook laptop, and iPad [optional].
- Don’t care for home: I prefer a nomadic life, so I never want to become a home-owner. Furthermore, I don’t want to deal with the stress of owning/maintaining a home. As long as I am physically with Cindy, she is my home.
I got a trillion other things I don’t care for, but determining what I don’t care for has simplified my life for the better.
Create what you care for
What do you care to create?
For myself, I love making photographs. I care for this creative activity!
If you care for your creative activities, let everything else fall to the wayside. Prioritize your artwork, and let your job, career, and other boring stuff fall to the bottom.
Selecting photos you care for
When selecting your photos, only ‘keep’ the photos you care for. And if you want somewhere to share your photos or get honest feedback on your photos, upload them to arsbeta.com
You have the power to direct your life however you want. You have the power to dictate what you desire TO DO and what NOT to do.
Spend more time thinking about what you truly care for and what you truly desire to do, create, make, and become in this life. And whatever you do– do it brazenly, and amazingly!
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
Masters of Philosophy »
Personal Philosophy »
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
Zen Philosophy »
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Life Lessons »
Learn more: Start Here >