Never stop augmenting your physical and mental strength:
The other day Cindy and I took a beautiful stroll from Roma Norte (Mexico City) to Polanco (the ritzy part of town), had nice conversations, had good coffee, looked around, had a nice dinner (Rosetta in Roma Norte), and we ended the day with some nice street tacos (suadero) with my infamous ‘egg snack’ for dessert.
I thought to myself:
Wow, I am at a maximal 10/10 happiness.
But the question comes:
Now what I am maximally happy, now what? What do I do with my life, and continue to pursue? To keep maximizing my happiness? To strive to become an 11/10 happiness? Or strive to become an 12/10 happiness?
Or to increase my capacity for happiness? So to increase my happiness “ability” from 10, to a maximum of 12? Therefore I could transform my happiness from a 10/10, to a 12/12?
What is happiness an indicator of?
Happiness is a physiological indicator of physical health, mental health, and feelings of power and well-being.
Then comes my thought:
Is then the purpose of my life to maintain this 10/10 happiness indefinitely? Or something else?
Thank god for sleep
I slept around 10pm, and wokeup today at around noon. It was one of the best sleeps in my recent memory; it felt like a “mini death”. Deep sleep. Calm. Refreshing. 12 hours of necessary strength re-augmentation.
Now I have this full day ahead of me. The question:
What should I do with my time, physiological energy, and human metabolism?
When am I the happiest?
“Every day is equal to every other day.” – Heraclitus
It seems I am happiest when after a great night of insanely bodily and physiological recover from sleep, a day where I am NOT interrupted; a day where I can focus on my own creative, philosophical, or artistic aims.
Via Negativa x Via Positiva
Thus perhaps happiness is both “via negativa” (cut out distractions, irritants, and bullshit) and “via positiva” (figuring out how TO USE your time and to express your creative force).
For me, my via positiva is:
- Lifting weights
- Conversing with Cindy and friends/family
- Talking with strangers
- Challenging my own thoughts
- Making photos/reviewing photos
- Shooting videos/re-watching my videos
- Layout/publishing (making books and ebooks)
- Drinking coffee
- Watching films
- Reading books
- Teaching/sharing ideas
Over-power, overflowing power
If happiness is simply an indicator of physiological health and creative flourishing, then perhaps happiness isn’t the end-goal in itself. The goal is to become MORE physiologically healthy/strong, and the goal is to become MORE creatively fruitful, prolific, and epic.
What does this mean? Some thoughts:
- There is a maximum in which you cannot become more un-distracted. I believe distraction is a binary: either you ARE distracted or NOT distracted. Thus, to remain NON-DISTRACTED is optimal (indefinitely).
- Once you have the mental and physical state of NOT being distracted, then it means to continue to venture DEEPER into the black sea of knowledge, to continue to enlighten and elevate your mind.
- Also, in order to become MORE mentally powerful, you need a stronger vessel (your body). Therefore the goal is to continue building your muscular/skeletal/sinew strength. How can you maintain great thoughts without a great body? Also, if you want to continue to become MORE WISE, you must also become MORE PHYSICALLY STRONG!
Never stop augmenting your physical and mental-artistic strength!
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Care over Fame
- ACTIVE NIHILISM
- Never Stop Subtracting
- How to Live a Happier and More Epic Life
- A Risker Life is a Better Life
- Only Work on Things You Can Imagine Doing for Eternity
- How to Maximize Your Happiness
- The Gladiator Makes His Plans once He Enters the Ring
- Meditations on Meaning in Life
- There is Nothing More Interesting than Human Beings
- Is Hope a Vice?
- Why Be Unique?
- Happiness is Metabolism Health and Strength
- You’re the Hero
- Is Productivity a Virtue or Vice?
- Why Do We Prize the Rare?
- The Joy of Uncertainty
- How Should I Best Use My Time and Life?
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 7th, 2020: ERIC KIM BLOGGING MASTER CLASS (Online, via Zoom). [Register Intent Here]
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.