If your goal is to maximize your happiness and joy in life, you must embrace the extremes (in the dark ends).
Let me explain:
If I were never depressed, how could I know what happiness is?
I am very grateful for the moments of depression in my life. Why? Without ever experiencing depression, how could I understand joy?
Why eliminate pain and suffering?
What is ‘happiness’? It seems one of the practical notions in Chinese (幸) is:
Opposite of death.
To be “happy” (or fortunate) is simply to be alive.
Perhaps we should simply be grateful to be alive — first step of happiness.
The highest highs, the lowest lows.
An idea from Nietzsche (Joyful Wisdom) is this:
By lowering our susceptibility to pain (Stoicism), we also lower our susceptibility for the upper-bounds of happiness.
Therefore in some ways, I wonder:
If you desire to reach a new apex of happiness in life, you must allow yourself to go into the deepest and darkest depression.
You feel a higher upside with a lower downside
Why am I so happy and optimistic? Because of my dark past.
Because I have experienced so much pain and suffering as a young child (and have survived), I have experienced “post traumatic growth”.
You can never truly appreciate your body without a crippling injury or infection.
For example when I first had to use crutches in college after a severe ankle injury, I truly appreciated my legs and the ability to walk by a factor of 1000x.
Why do you desire to maximize your joy or happiness?
For myself, I’m interested in maximizing my personal joy and happiness because I feel it is a new road or a new plane of existence. I’m fascinated:
What are certain states of human consciousness we have yet experienced?
This is why I love powerlifting so much — to me, powerlifting is applied zen meditation, except 100x more badass.
With powerlifting, the moment I attempt a new PR and push through — I enter a new level of human existence. My brain goes blank. All that is in action is my body, muscles, and gravity.
Yet to powerlift (deadlift, squat) is insanely difficult. Yet it’s endlessly fascinating and very fun.
But contrary to the passive pleasures of the average American (sitting at home, watching Netflix, pornography), powerlifting seems “hard”.
But perhaps the best pleasures, joys, and happiness in life are the challenging, difficult, and interesting!
Should we maximize our dissatisfaction in life?
In order to have a higher high, and a higher satisfaction and joy in life, should we also strive to maximize our dissatisfaction?
What is the pragmatic use of happiness?
Do we seek happiness for happiness sake as old Aristotle told us in his ‘Ethics’ book?
The happier I am, the more I produce creative art works.
For me, the ultimate end is to disappear entirely into my creative working. To suspend my ego and self, and to just flow the work.
Why I like spreading joy and happiness with others
What do I consider the purpose of my life?
Empower myself to the max, and empower others to the max.
And perhaps to do this, we need to embrace ALL aspects of existence, including the horrible, terrible, cruel, and unjust.
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- The Gladiator Makes His Plans once He Enters the Ring
- Meditations on Meaning in Life
- There is Nothing More Interesting than Human Beings
- Is Hope a Vice?
- Why Be Unique?
- Happiness is Metabolism Health and Strength
- You’re the Hero
- Is Productivity a Virtue or Vice?
- Why Do We Prize the Rare?
- The Joy of Uncertainty
- How Should I Best Use My Time and Life?
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
Street Photography Starter Kit
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- The Film Shooter
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
MUSE by KIM
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29