The turbo thought for today:
What do you desire to become, and why?
On becoming (more)
What do you desire to become, and why do you desire to become that?
We all have ideals, idols, and individuals we would like to become. We look up to some heroes, and desire to emulate their actions, life, and mode of living.
Become an individual
It seems my whole life I have been battling the fight to focus on becoming an individual, rather than an obedient tool, or a member of the “sheeple” caste in society.
This is a combination of how I was raised, my “king complex” growing up as the eldest son (of the eldest son) in a Korean family, and notions of American individualism.
Why superhero movies?
When we watch superhero movies — what do we strive to? We strive to (also) become superheroes!
When we look up to certain superhero, we essentially see in them something we see in ourselves. We see our idealized self in a superhero. We also desire to emulate their actions, their valor, strength, and mode of living.
Furthermore, we desire their strength (both physical or mental). It is ridiculous to think of a superhero who didn’t have super-human PHYSICAL strength. Also we don’t like heroes who are cowards.
On having idols
Perhaps the best thing about being a human being:
We become socialized and we can learn from our fore-fathers.
Consider how “inefficient” a human being is. We aren’t really self-sufficient until maybe around 12-13 years old. We need all those years of training and socialization to get us going.
Furthermore, no human being can become 100% self-sufficient. We are still dependent on society.
How do we learn how to act and behave in society? Our parents, our teachers, our religion, our god(s), and the morals/ethics of our society.
Thus I think the notion of having an idol or something we aspire to as a good thing. It is our own ideal.
What is your personal ideal?
To me, it is a matter of extreme pride. It is a matter of our personal ideals of aesthetics. My definition of an artist:
Someone who doesn’t compromise their aesthetic and moral ethics.
This involves saying “yes” and “no”. This involves being stubborn. This involves creating distance between yourself and others. This means not aspiring to the virtues of others, but aspiring to follow your own virtues.
With life, create your own ideal of yourself. Ideal = idea.
What do you want to see in yourself? When you look in the mirror; what do you want to become?
Let this guide you!
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- What Do I Want from Technology?
- Stratified Society
- Do You Love or Hate Reality?
- On the Brian, Body and Mind
- I’m Maximally Happy, Now What?
- Care over Fame
- ACTIVE NIHILISM
- Never Stop Subtracting
- How to Live a Happier and More Epic Life
- A Risker Life is a Better Life
- Only Work on Things You Can Imagine Doing for Eternity
- How to Maximize Your Happiness
- The Gladiator Makes His Plans once He Enters the Ring
- Meditations on Meaning in Life
- There is Nothing More Interesting than Human Beings
- Is Hope a Vice?
- Why Be Unique?
- Happiness is Metabolism Health and Strength
- You’re the Hero
- Is Productivity a Virtue or Vice?
- Why Do We Prize the Rare?
- The Joy of Uncertainty
- How Should I Best Use My Time and Life?
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >