We all seem like we’re currently in a state of pandemonium. But what are we really afraid of?
Are we fearful of death, the pain preceding death, or the pain accompanying death?
Question — what are you really afraid of?
Are you afraid of just pain in general? Are you afraid of dying? Are you afraid of those you love dying?
If you’re afraid of dying, what is your actual practical likelihood of dying?
Why do you fear death?
Then the next question:
*WHY* do you fear death?
Of course it is in our DNA to desire to NOT want to die. We want to live. Most of us desire to live at all costs.
But what is it exactly about death that we fear?
Once you’re dead, you feel no pain.
The funny thing with death:
Once you’re dead, you no longer feel pain.
Perhaps are we afraid of life after death? Are we afraid of going to hell?
But if you don’t believe in heaven and hell, or an afterlife, or reincarnation or whatever — then what do you really fear about death? Technically if you’re an atheist or you don’t believe in God [or God(s)], you shouldn’t be fearful of death from a rational perspective.
Is it fear of the unknown?
Dying (or being dead) is the same as never being born
What is the feeling of death? The same feeling of never being born.
What is the pain of never being born? Nothing!
Thus there is no pain associated with death. There might be pain pre-ceding your death, but not always.
If you feel pain before your death, technically the pain stops once you’re dead.
If you don’t fear death (or the pain associated with death), do you truly have anything to be afraid of?
It makes sense to make precautions. To not do anything stupid which actually might lead to permanent disfigurement or a ‘traumatic’ death. For example, best to NOT text while driving, ride a motorcycle, ride a bicycle in a city, etc.
But once we’ve conquered no longer fearing the pain of death, or the non-existence AFTER we die… what do we have to fear?
PHILOSOPHY by KIM
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- HAPPINESS ISN’T THE GOAL
- Philosophy is King
- Why is Selfish Evil?
- YOU’RE CONSTANTLY IN A STATE OF BECOMING
- ENTITLEMENT A SIN?
- BE BRUTALLY HONEST WITH YOURSELF
- WHY FREE WILL?
- OBEY YOUR OPINION
- EGO IS GOOD.
- WHY IT IS GOOD TO BE INTO YOURSELF
- Seek the Good Pain
- Anti-Perfection in Photography, Art, and Life
- Can You Become an End into Yourself?
- WHY I LIVE
- Why I Hate Decline
- Why I Eat
- Why am I So Positive and Optimistic?
- EFFORT IS ENJOYMENT
- Never Stop Gaining
- TRUST YOURSELF
- A Life of Maximal Personal Independence
- What Do You Desire to Become?
- What Do I Want from Technology?
- Stratified Society
- Do You Love or Hate Reality?
- On the Brian, Body and Mind
- I’m Maximally Happy, Now What?
- Care over Fame
- ACTIVE NIHILISM
- Never Stop Subtracting
- How to Live a Happier and More Epic Life
- A Risker Life is a Better Life
- Only Work on Things You Can Imagine Doing for Eternity
- How to Maximize Your Happiness
- The Gladiator Makes His Plans once He Enters the Ring
- Meditations on Meaning in Life
- There is Nothing More Interesting than Human Beings
- Is Hope a Vice?
- Why Be Unique?
- Happiness is Metabolism Health and Strength
- You’re the Hero
- Is Productivity a Virtue or Vice?
- Why Do We Prize the Rare?
- The Joy of Uncertainty
- How Should I Best Use My Time and Life?
- A Life Without Pain or Suffering Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- Free or Unfree?
- What Do You Really Care For in Life?
- Anti-Satisfaction in Life
- Why Think?
- The Eternal Return
- Only Do What is Best for You!
- Why Be Happy?
- Permissionless Living
- In Praise of Unconventional Wisdom
- Become the Change Which You Wish to See in the World
- Beyond Freedom
- Idolize People, Not Stuff
- What Makes You Stronger? What Makes You Weaker?
- Why Hate?
- The Secret of Happiness
- You’re Constantly in a State of Becoming
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
MUSE by KIM
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
Street Photography Starter Kit
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- The Film Shooter
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap Pro