My thoughts philosophy and approach to lifting weights:
1. Powerlifting style is best
Aim for a ‘one rep max‘ — the maximum weight you can lift off the ground for a single repetition:
2. Reps are boring
To do endless repetitions and follow some sort of ‘workout plan’ is insanely boring. I keep my reps very low; in the 1-3 range. I would prefer to only powerlift if possible.
3. How to warmup
It seems a quick 30-second yoga-esque routine seems ideal.
What I typically do is some ‘asian squats’, a ‘dive bomber’ (hindu pushup), some pushups, some hip thrusts, a pigeon pose, and that is it. Then I start lifting weights.
4. The whole world is your gym
If there are no rocks, just do bodyweight exercise stuff: pushups, one handed pushups, one-legged pistol squats, planche, muscle up, etc:
5. Why weights?
According to my fitness philosophy:
Weights are fun!
I like bodyweight stuff too, but I find weight lifting more fun, interesting and manly. I like the masculinity of lifting weights and heavy shit.
Milo of Croton as a good goal and guide.
My Muscle Philosophy:
Treat your body as sculpture.
This is not my body
The first thing:
I don’t see my body as belonging to me. I look at my body like it belongs to someone else.
When I look at the Lamborghini of someone else, I admire it. When I see the muscles and physiques of anyone else, I admire it. Then I had the epiphany:
Why not transform my own body into a Lambo, and admire my own body instead?
The great logic:
- It is far cheaper to get buff than to buy a Lambo.
- The human body is the apex beauty. This means your personal goal in life should be to beautify your own personal body to the maximum (without plastic surgery, steroids, etc).
- Ultimate democratic approach: Genetics doesn’t matter. Sex doesn’t matter. Racial ethnicity doesn’t matter. Anyone can both add muscle mass and subtract fat.
- It doesn’t cost much to get ripped. Just intermittent fast [no breakfast, no lunch], one big ass meal a day, and mostly a ‘ketogenic’ diet.
- Your body is always with you. Why not beautify your body to inspire yourself?
The joy of sculpting your own body
To sculpt your own body is insanely fun. Why? You can see the change over time!
Once again, the goal is simple:
Never stop adding muscle mass, and never stop reducing body fat, or keeping it low (around 10%).
Muscle and your body is highly practical.
The more muscle you have, the more energy you got. The more power you got to make art-work, and live with gratitude, joy, and hyper-vigor.
Strengthen on, and flex on!
- ERIC KIM WORKS OUT
- ERIC KIM ROCK PARK WORKOUT
- My Body is a Work of Art!
- Park Workout Ideas
- The Physiological Joy of Working Out
- Anti Body Body Shaming
- How to Workout at Home With Only a Barbell
- 11 Tips How to Use Photography to Get More Fit
- How to Lose Fat Fast
- Become More Creative With Your (Limited) Home Gym Workouts
- Flexibility is “Micro Strength”
- NEVER STOP GAINING MUSCLE
- ERIC KIM PARK LIFE
- How I Workout at my Home Gym
- In Praise of Pistol One Legged Squats
- Powerlifting Style Workouts at the Park
- The Philosophy of Bodybuilding
- YOUR BODY IS YOUR BANK ACCOUNT
- WHY I WORKOUT AT THE PARK
- How to Strengthen Your Rotator Cuff
- In Praise of Rings Workout
- How to Workout at the Park
- Why I Don’t Eat Breakfast or Lunch (In Praise of One Huge Dinner Meal a Day)
- HOW TO LOVE YOUR BODY
- Is Working Out at the Park Superior to Working Out at the Gym?
- Why I Workout
- WHY PHOTOGRAPHERS SHOULD WORKOUT
- How to Increase Your Testosterone
- My Workout Philosophy
- How Appearance Matters
- How I Workout at Home
- My Philosophy of Food
- The Best Park Workouts
- How to Quit Sugar
- How to Workout in the Streets and Park
- How Much Meat Can You Eat in a Day?
- APEX MALE MASCULINITY
- HOW I WORKOUT AT THE PARK
- How to Lose Fat
- How I Became Stronger and Buffer and More Swole During and After Quarantine
- What is Skinny-Fat?
- In Praise of Working Out at the Park
- Why Meat is Good
- Flesh over Metal
- Why Lower Your Bodyfat?
- How to Augment Your Recovery
- Increase Intensity, not Reps
- My Park Workout
- How to Fast
- HOW I WORKOUT FROM THE PARK
- How I Got So Swole
- Pure Power or Sculpture?
- How to Workout in the Streets
- How to Workout At Home With No Equipment
- Super Saiyan is the Goal
- MY POWERLIFTING PHILOSOPHY
- MY EXERCISE/WORKOUT PHILOSOPHY
- What if Mood Originates in the Stomach and Gut? Digestion Health
- Why I Don’t Consume Protein Powder or Supplements
- Real vs Fake // Natural vs Unnatural
- You Can’t Fake Strength
- How to Grow Your Muscles
- How to Add Muscle and Subtract Fat at the Same Time
- ERIC KIM BODY MUSCLE FLEX
- Don’t Build Muscle, Build Strength.
- Visual Kinesthesia: Muscles and Art
- How to Maximize Muscle Growth and Fat Loss
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- The Film Shooter
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
Street Photography Starter Kit
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
MUSE by KIM
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- STREET NOTES $ 19
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19