Pessimism — this little troll. Where does this ugly demon come from?
What does ‘pessimism’ mean?
Pessimism means ‘worst’. It is a superlative of the word ‘malus’ (bad).
Also interesting etymology for the word ‘pessimus‘ is the proto-indo-european word “ped+” (which means to walk, fall, or stumble). So perhaps a ‘pessimistic’ outview in life is a life in which you see life as full of negativity– full of stumbling blocks; hidden traps for you to fall into.
Is it bad to be pessimistic?
I don’t think it is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ to be pessimistic. All I know is that if you are pessimistic, it just is a shitty way to live and feel.
If you’re a pessimist, you have less energy, less vigor, and less enthusiasm for life. And I don’t know about you– but I prefer living a life where I have maximal energy, maximum feeling of power, maximal gratitude and enthusiasm for life.
Furthermore if you’re a pessimist, and see everything in a negative light — you are essentially saying:
I wish I were never born. Being alive is torture. I wish I were dead.
This is essentially the philosophy of Arthur Schopenhauer; the ultimate philosophy of those with weak souls and wills.
Why be optimistic?
The opposite of pessimism is optimism. It comes from the latin word ‘optimus‘ (which means ‘best’).
Being alive is the best thing even conceivable of. Furthermore, in modern society– we have the BEST conditions of thriving ever known to man.
Unlimited and free high-speed internet (practically), no chance of famine or death by starvation or lack of water, unlimited free/cheap entertainment, practically free clothing, no fear of death by the cold. No more wild beasts that can kill us, and a government which offers us (some) sort of protection against the ultimate downside of total financial ruin.
With an optimistic outlook in life, we think:
There are no downside in life and being alive. Life is unlimited upside.
Life is too infinitely short to be pessimistic
Most likely you’re not going to die today. In-fact, with modern medicine it is not unlikely for you to live to be ~100-120 years during this lifetime.
Consider– if you are going to live that long, and you don’t plan on committing suicide, ask yourself:
Do I want to make the willingful choice to pessimistic for the rest of my life, until I die?
If you had the option to tar yourself with feathers, grime, and dirt for the rest of your life, would you? Or would you rather paint yourself refulgent gold, shining hard, and having the visual and mental intelligence to see the good in every bad?
Dictate your meaning and purpose in your life with ZEN OF ERIC:
- Life is about Choices, Not Obligations
- First, Do What is Best for You.
- Live Dynamic
- How to Prosper
- Is the Point of Life to Be Satisfied?
- SUPREME EFFORT OF WILL.
- How to Become more Idealistic
- Thrivival 101
- Create Yourself
- How to Live a Heroic Life: Dare the Heights!
- Human Augmentation
- Happiness: Do What You Want to Do (And Don’t Do What You Don’t Want to Do)
- Avoid Vain (Empty) Pursuits in Life
- Modern Slavery
- Kill the Leeches
- Wisdom Augmentation
- Why We Need Friction in Life
- Straight Line Philosophy
- What’s Your End-Game in Life?
- Create Your Own Happiness Today
- Desire Both Pain and Pleasure in Life
- Try the Impossible
- Anti-Social Extrovert
- Never Blame Anybody But Yourself
- Human Flourishing
- Simpler, Not Better.
- How to be Free
- Embrace the Extremes
- Cultivate Your Own Culture
- Inner Power
- How to Live a Purposeful Life
- My Definition of Happiness
- Why Change is Good
- Why Work?
- How to Live the Happiest Possible Life
- The Two-Pronged Approach to Maximize Joy in Your Life
- You Always Have Another Option!
- Never Stop!
- What is Your Self-Directed Purpose in Life?
- Live Today Like it Were Your Last
- Do You Photograph to Live, or Live to Photograph?
- Live Life to the Fullest!
- In Praise of Selfishness
- Why You Must Be a YAY-SAYER to Succeed in Entrepreneurship and Life
- Why I Love Walking
- Live Life Like a Video Game!
- Simple Luxuries in Life
- Treat Your Life Like a Fun Experiment!
- Only Prove it to Yourself
- You Don’t Always Need to Feel Joyful to Live a Fulfilling and Meaningful Life
- Life is Too Short to Be Bored!
- Money Cannot Destroy Boredom
- How to Find Inspiration in Life
- Why You Must Ignore Haters to Succeed and Win in Life
- An Active Life is a Happy Life
- My Simple Joys in Life
- Never Stop Striving
- How to Motivate Yourself in Life
- How to Be Optimistic in Life
- How to Dictate Your Purpose in Life
- In Praise of a Dynamic Life
- How to Enjoy Life
- Photography Therapy
- How to Conquer Regret
- Take Your Play Very Seriously.
- How to Prosper
- Memento Vivere
- Destroy in Order to CREATE
- Trust Your Body More Than Your Mind
- Make Photos to Make Meaning in Your Life
- Seek Knowledge, Not Information
- The Purpose of Human Life
- How to Overcome Impedence
- Why I Love Death
- How to Be Centered in the Eternal Now
- How to Be Happy
- Why Do You Care What Others Think of You?
- Why I’m Happy
- Why I’m So Prolific
- How to Reduce LAG in Life
- How to Be a Stoic Street Photographer
- How to Use Photography as Self-Therapy
- How to Free Your Soul From Disturbance
- How to Be a Zen Street Photographer
- Zen in the Art of Street Photography
- How to Find Tranquility in Your Photography
Learn more: Start Here >