I think the best photos are the ones to photograph of everyday life.
The timeless wrist strap for street photographers.
Don’t get suckered by the exotic
The mistake: we think we can only make good photos while we’re traveling or abroad.
In reality: the best photos are the photos of our everyday life.
I think a lot of us see photography as escapism. We are dissatisfied with our everyday lives, and we hope that we can travel with our camera, and see the world, and find some everlasting joy.
But — what if, we could use a camera as a tool to appreciate our everyday lives?
What if we realized that our life (that we currently have) is already the best life possible?
If you make photos of your everyday life, you are telling yourself:
I already have the best life possible, and I am going to photograph my everyday life– the small things which bring me joy in life.
What to photograph?
Photograph your daily schedule. Photograph your selfie.
You wake up, photograph yourself in the mirror. Photograph your morning coffee and breakfast. Photograph your commute — either if you’re stuck in a car, or when you’re in public transportation.
Find joy in photographing your loved ones, your food, or the objects in your home.
The secret of everyday photography:
Treat the ordinary as extraordinary.
Finding beauty in the mundane
I have been doing this:
Finding ordinary scenes or objects, and shooting extraordinary compositions of it.
- Dutch angle (tilting your horizon in your camera, making dramatic diagonal angles)
- Using a flash (flash transform the ordinary into looking different — and surreal)
- Simplify whatever you are photographing — make the edges of your frame clean and simple.
Find beauty in the ordinary, everyday
Everyday photography is the best form of photography — I think this is why I like street photography. You just photograph ordinary everyday life — you photograph ordinary strangers, but you try to turn the ordinary into the beautiful.
Realize, whatever you photograph — you are saying:
This is beautiful.
Therefore, your camera is a tool of acknowledging beauty in people, objects, or scenes.
As a photographer, you are a highlighter of beauty in everyday life.
JUST SHOOT IT.
- Purchase over $50
- Add Creative Every Day Mobile to your cart
- Enter code “creativeeveryday” at checkout
Special limited time offer to spark your creative spirit this holiday season.
Never miss the decisive moment, ever again.
If you’re new to photography, start here:
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography
- Free Photography Bootcamp
- 100 Photography Tips for Beginners
Color Photography 101
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Color Photography
- Opponent Process Color Theory For Photographers
- Color Theory For Photographers
New Photography Articles
- 15 Tips How to Shoot Better Selfies
- Photography is All a Matter of Perspective
- Photography Warmup Assignments
- 5 Simple Tips How to Take Better Pictures
- 10 Tips How to Shoot Better Architecture Photography
- 7 Reasons Why I Love Digital Medium-Format Photography
- My Experience Shooting Digital Medium Format in Street Photography
- My Experience Shooting my Friend Wedding on Digital Medium Format
- How to Become a Self-Confident Photographer
- The Spirit of Becoming a Photographer
- How to Make Better Pictures
- 10 Tips How to Take Better Photos of People
- How to Avoid Boredom in Photography
- How to Master Photography
- A Photographer’s Guide to Seeing
- PRETENTIOUS PHOTOGRAPHY
- Photography Energy Management
- How to Unlock Your Potential in Photography
- There Are No Good or Bad Photos
- The 5 Minute Photographer
- A-Z: PHOTOGRAPHY DICTIONARY by ERIC KIM
- Why I Want to Be a Photography Newbie Forever
- PHOTOGRAPHY FLUX.
- 10 Creative Photography Assignments to Re-Inspire You
- 50 Photography Tips by ERIC KIM
The Fundamentals of Photography
- Make Simple Pictures
- The Art of Reading a Picture
- How to Choose Your Best Photos
- GET CLOSER.
- Keep or Ditch?
- What Makes a Good Photo?
- Why Photography?
- Everyone is a Photographer
- How to take better pictures
- How to take better selfies
- How to Paint With Light
- Why Bokeh is Overrated
- What is the Perfect Camera For You?
- What to Consider When Buying a Camera
- More Megapixels, More Problems
- How to Take Better Photos
- How to Capture Emotion in Your Photos
- How to Create a “Curiosity Gap” in Your Photos
- Composition Lesson #1: Triangles
- Composition Lesson #2: Figure-to-ground
- Composition Lesson #3: Diagonals
- 40 Practical Photography Assignments
- 15 Street Photography Assignments
- 25 Photography New Year’s Resolutions
- Street Photography Contact Sheets
- Street Photography Contact Sheets Volume II
- Debunking the “Myth of the Decisive Moment”
- Each Photo You Take is an “Attempt”
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- How to Edit Your Photos
- Grain is Beautiful
- Are Filters “Cheating” in Photography?
- Video: Introduction to Editing, Processing, and Workflow in Lightroom
How to Create a Body of Work
Technical Photography Settings
Learn From the Masters of Photography
“He without a past has no future.”
- Why Study the Masters of Photography?
- Great Female Master Photographers
- Cheat Sheet of the Masters of Photography
- 100 Lessons From the Masters of Street Photography
- Beginner’s Guide to the Masters of Street Photography
- Download All Articles >
The Masters of Photography
Classics never die:
- Alfred Stieglitz
- Alec Soth
- Alex Webb
- Alexey Brodovitch
- Anders Petersen
- Andre Kertesz
- Ansel Adams
- Blake Andrews
- Bruce Davidson
- Bruce Gilden
- Constantine Manos
- Daido Moriyama
- Dan Winters
- David Alan Harvey
- David Hurn
- Diane Arbus
- Dorothea Lange
- Elliott Erwitt
- Eugene Atget
- Eugene Smith
- Fan Ho
- Garry Winogrand
- Gordon Parks
- Helen Levitt
- Henri Cartier-Bresson
- Irving Penn
- Jacob Aue Sobol
- Jeff Mermelstein
- Joel Meyerowitz
- Joel Sternfeld
- Josef Koudelka / Part 2
- Josh White
- Lee Friedlander
- Lisette Model
- Magnum Contact Sheets
- Magnum Photographers
- Mark Cohen
- Martin Parr
- Martine Franck
- Mary Ellen Mark
- Rene Burri
- Richard Avedon
- Richard Kalvar
- Robert Capa
- Robert Frank
- Saul Leiter
- Sergio Larrain
- Sebastião Salgado
- Shomei Tomatsu
- Stephen Shore
- The History of Street Photography
- Todd Hido
- Tony Ray-Jones
- Trent Parke
- Vivian Maier
- Walker Evans
- William Eggleston
- William Klein
- Zoe Strauss
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- The Film Shooter
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
MUSE by KIM
Street Photography Starter Kit
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition