We all know how to shoot pictures— but how few of us know how to delete pictures?
What is a memory?
I think in today’s digital world, to have the discipline to delete a picture is far more difficult than having the discipline to make a picture.
We are all digital hoarders. Why? A fear of losing a memory. Why do we fear losing our memories? We feel that by losing our memories… we lose a bit of our soul, or who we are.
Mistake: You are not your memories. You are not your pictures of your memories. You are you— right now, in the present moment.
I foresee in the future, you will start seeing more apps and services that promote the DELETION or editing/curation of images, instead of the backing up of images.
Why? We are drowning in a digital sea of images. The attention, energy, and time needed to sift through all those images is wasteful, stressful, and time-consuming.
How do you learn to let go in order to delete your pictures? Some ideas:
Take a cold shower. Take a deep breath. Look at your picture, and like Marie Kando, say, “Thank you for sparking joy in my life”. Then delete it, and wish it a peaceful journey into the boat ride into the digital hades.
2. Know what to keep, and what to delete
The foolish thing is to delete all your pictures. Only keep the ones which are truly meaningful to you.
For the really really meaningful pictures, learn how to delete them.
3. Digital Darwinism
If your picture on some hard drive, collecting dust, hasn’t “survived” until now— it did not deserve to live.
Don’t go back, shuffling through old hard drives— trying to find “hidden gems” in your archive of pictures.
Make 1 truly great picture before you die
Even if you have made 5 good and meaningful pictures up until now, that is enough.
And better yet, if you die with just 1 truly great picture under your belt, you have succeeded as a photographer.
Let go and BE STRONG!
Why do you make photos? Reflect in PHOTO JOURNAL:
- Your Camera is a Blessing
- Reality vs. Perception in Photography
- What’s Your Final Aim in Photography?
- If We Delete Our Pictures, Do We Delete Ourselves?
- There is No Truth in Photography; All is Allowed
- MEMENTO MORI PHOTOGRAPHY
- YOU ARE A PHOTO GOD.
- How to Gain More Control, Freedom, and Happiness in Your Photography
- The Will to Shoot
- The Art of Constantly BECOMING
- The Frame
- How to Increase Your Visual Perception
- Could an AI Shoot the Same Photo as You?
- A Photographer’s Guide to Seeing
- THE LESS REAL YOUR PHOTOS, THE BETTER.
- Photography as Experience
- SHOOT YOU.
- MAKE PICTURES, NOT PHOTOGRAPHS
- Why You Should Ignore Photography and Art Critics
- Do You Live to Photograph, or Photograph to Live?
- Living a Good Life is More Important Than Photography
- How to Start Fresh in Your Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
MUSE by KIM
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- The Film Shooter
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
Street Photography Starter Kit
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169