MEMENTORI MORI: remember that you will (and must die).
If today were your last day on earth, what would you photograph? What would you NOT photograph?
We don’t like to think or talk about death. Why? Nobody wants to die. We falsely think we will live forever.
For me, I like to think about death a lot. Why? It is the ultimate motivator.
If I were to live forever, I wouldn’t be motivated to do anything. Rather, by knowing my time is limited like a river in a desert oasis, I don’t waste a single minute.
How can you use death in a positive way to inspire your photography?
- Use photography to document the joy of your loved ones. Buy PHOTO JOURNAL and always reflect, that they will die. At least when you take a picture, you can immortalize the good times.
- Only seek to make photos that YOU like. Because when you die, why leave behind photos that random strangers will like? Wouldn’t you rather be on your death-bed, and smile at all your PERSONAL PHOTOS that you created for yourself, family, and loved ones?
- HONOR THY SELFIE: Whenever I shoot a selfie, I remind myself that I’m not gonna look young forever. Even now, I see stress marks, and wrinkles on my face. To document self portraits of myself is a good reminder to myself: “Eric, you are gonna die. Don’t waste any of your life on stupid shit, like acquiring more toys, accruing money for the sake of it, or whatever.”
To learn more, read how it was like photographing death on my grandfather’s funeral.
Why do you make photos? Reflect in PHOTO JOURNAL:
- YOU ARE A PHOTO GOD.
- How to Gain More Control, Freedom, and Happiness in Your Photography
- The Will to Shoot
- The Art of Constantly BECOMING
- The Frame
- How to Increase Your Visual Perception
- Could an AI Shoot the Same Photo as You?
- A Photographer’s Guide to Seeing
- THE LESS REAL YOUR PHOTOS, THE BETTER.
- Photography as Experience
- SHOOT YOU.
- MAKE PICTURES, NOT PHOTOGRAPHS
- Why You Should Ignore Photography and Art Critics
- Do You Live to Photograph, or Photograph to Live?
- Living a Good Life is More Important Than Photography
- How to Start Fresh in Your Photography
Take your street photography to the next level:
- August 27 (Friday): SEATTLE MASTER STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NOW LIVE!]
- September 11 (Saturday): DOWNTOWN LA ADVANCED STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NEW!]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.