Here are some fun photography assignments you can try out to re-inspire you:
- Listen to your favorite music album, and make a set of images: 1 photograph per song. For example, I’ll listen to “DAMN.” by Kendrick Lamar, and each of his songs inspires a blog post, or a single photo. So make a visual music, photography album of your favorite 12 photos to your favorite 12 songs.
- Buy an old film medium-format camera, FILM NOTES, and buy 5 rolls of Kodak Portra 400, and 5 rolls of Kodak Tri-X 400. Shoot all the rolls, and edit down a set of images of your 5 favorite color photos, and your favorite 5 black and white photos. Of course, you can use whatever film you want.
- On a Saturday morning, go to your favorite coffee shop, and bring your favorite 1 photography book. Order a double espresso, and start inspiring yourself with images. Then, when the caffeine hits your blood stream, and you feel the inspiration flowing in your veins, go out and shoot for 2 hours. Choose your 1 favorite photo from the session, and upload it.
- Only shoot selfies for a week, and at the end of the week, choose your 7 favorite photos. Print them as small 4×6 images, and put them in your own photography journal for yourself. Don’t share them with anybody.
- Imitate one photographer whose personality you hate for a week.
- Try to make 1 perfect replica of a photograph you’ve seen that you like. Aka, recreate Henri Cartier-Bresson‘s famous puddle jumping photo.
- Only shoot JPEG for a month (no RAW).
- Only shoot with an iPad for a day.
- On a Saturday, leave your phone at home, and shoot for an entire day without listening to music, sending emails, or checking social media.
- Delete all your photos from Instagram, and re-upload your 10 favorite photos. Then don’t upload anything new for a week. Or to be more ballsy, delete your Instagram and make a photo blog.
Take your street photography to the next level:
- August 27 (Friday): SEATTLE MASTER STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NOW LIVE!]
- September 11 (Saturday): DOWNTOWN LA ADVANCED STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP - [NEW!]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.