- Camera in the hand, and don’t make any plans.
- Understand you need to make a lot of photos to get a few good ones.
- You don’t need to be in London or Rome, to photograph good pictures.
- Let your own inner-critic be your best judge of your own photos.
- Ignore social media numbers.
- Only upload photos you like.
- When in doubt, throw it out.
- If your photos aren’t good enough, your camera isn’t expensive enough.
- Don’t seek to add to your frame, seek to subtract, like a sculptor chipping away a block of marble.
- Make interesting photos of a boring place.
- Follow your own artistic taste.
- Lace your photos with your own personal emotions and soul.
- Don’t follow any photographic mold– follow your own voice.
- Find inspiration from all the arts: theater, sculpture, poetry, drawing, paintings, illustrations, digital, or film. Fill your creativity to the brim.
- There is no winning on social media.
- You can never have enough likes.
- Your wife or husband is often the best judge of your photos.
- To see more photo opportunities, keep your phone in airplane mode.
- When you see a fork in the road, go straight (Jay-Z)
- When in doubt, click.
- Only pack one camera and lens for a photo trip.
- Don’t shoot from the hip.
- Make photos; don’t take photos.
- Shoot film to re-inspire your digital photography.
- The best camera is your phone.
- There is no red velvet chair in the social media throne.
- Paint your own reality in monochrome
- Photograph emotions in colors.
- Like a child, follow your curiosity and your own wonderment.
- Buy books, not gear.
- For photography poetic inspiration, read King Lear
- Don’t steer your photography style; let your style guide you.
- Photography equipment: not every shoe fits every foot.
- To make more photos, walk more.
- There are no rules in photography, only tips and suggestions.
- Let your photos cook before sharing them: don’t take half baked images out of the oven.
- Don’t make an online photo gallery have more than a dozen photos.
- Be your own photographic self-promoter.
- If you start getting hate on your photos, you are staring to get successful.
- Photographers are artists: to find more happiness, create more.
- Realize you can make interesting photos in your own home.
- Originality: take something old, and give it your own spin– says Eric Kim.
- Street photography: capture your own reality.
- Your first (digital) million photos are your worst (a play off the “Your first 10,000 [film] photos are your worst.)
- The best zoom: foot-zoom.
- To capture more emotions in your photos, capture hand gestures.
- Every photographer shoots him or herself.
- Share your photographic wealth.
- When you have nothing to shoot, photograph yourself.
- Photography is a meditation on death and life, so never fall victim to bullshit and strife and pettiness– be the best person you can today, and pray that tomorrow will (also) be a good day.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- STREET NOTES $ 19
Street Photography Starter Kit
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
MUSE by KIM
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- The Film Shooter
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]