I love photography newbies. To a newbie (beginner), there are no rules. Only opportunities and excitement.
I. I love beginners
In my experience, teaching beginner workshops are the best. There is so much excitement, enthusiasm, and willingness to experiment, try something new, and learn.
Experts tend to get stuck in their ways. Their minds are calcified. They are like vinyl records, stuck in their grooves.
II. Forever learning
I want to be a photography newbie for the rest of my life. Everyday, I want to roam the streets with excitement, like a photography virgin — seeing the streets with my eyes for the first time.
III. Why learn?
When we stop learning, we start dying.
I love to always learn new photography techniques, tools, equipment, cameras, lenses, phones, and ideas. To learn from teenagers and the youth are best. I love to ask them about Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or other hot social media apps. To me, they haven’t become wage slaves yet, and not corrupted by the “system”. They are more willing to experiment, take risks, and do cool shit.
Unfortunately most people over the age of 30 start dying creatively. They get too rich with money. They think they can innovate with photography with buying more expensive tools.
The truth is real innovation happens from poor photographers; broke college kids.
IV. How to be more creative in your photography
So perhaps in photography, we should call this “newbie mind”.
How do we stay newbies in photography? Some ideas:
- Don’t spend money: if you’re a newbie, and perhaps broke, you cannot afford to just buy your problems away. You need to innovate with the limited tools and equipment you already have. So rather than buying a new digital camera to be more creative, see how you can make better photos on your crappy camera phone. Can you make good photos on a shitty camera?
- Subtract options: “Creative constraints” are good for our creativity. For example, only shoot with one camera or one lens. Or one focal length. Or only color or black and white. Don’t shoot RAW, only shoot jpeg.
- Shoot like a kid: put your camera in “P” program mode, or just shoot with your phone. Shoot without restraints, and just have fun. Don’t take your photography too seriously.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- The Film Shooter
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
MUSE by KIM
Street Photography Starter Kit
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM