If you are reading this, and you own a smartphone, you are a photographer.
I’m sick and tired of all these elitist saying nonsense like:
Everyone thinks they’re a photographer now, just because they have an iPhone.
The truth is:
Everyone is a photographer.
To be a photographer means that you have a passion to paint with light. That you are drawn to documenting personal memories, with your phone, or any device with a camera.
To be a photographer means to have a passion and curiosity for life. To have an inner-historian. To find meaning in life, through making art with a camera.
The iPhone was the best thing that happened to photography. It democratized photography to the masses.
The problem is that a lot of photography elitists are scared. They are scared that now everyone can make a good photo with a phone, their art school and photography school degrees are meaningless. They are afraid that now that everyone is a photographer, their personal livelihoods will be compromised.
Also to be honest, today’s brave new world of photography is scary for professional and working photographers. Any kid can buy a Canon 5D, a Sigma lens, a cheap YN flash, and make phenomenal photos, all in P (program) mode.
You don’t even need to shoot RAW anymore. Your photos will look great in jpeg.
VSCO is the second best thing to happen to photography. Now anyone with an iPhone or smartphone can make good photos, and actually process them to look good. VSCO (both Lightroom presets and Mobile app) can turn our cold, lifeless digital photos and breathe soul and life into them. They make our soulless digital photos have panache and flavor– by adding pastel tones to our images, adding grain, grit, and human emotion. Huge shout out to Zach, for making some stellar post processing presets.
Also huge shout out to Henrique Penha and all of the Apple photos team– you guys made the best camera in the world. Of course, we still like to shoot with our Leica’s and film cameras, but at the end of the day, just shooting with our phones is easier, and helps us capture more meaningful daily moments.
Just because everyone is a photographer doesn’t mean everyone is a good photographer. To make good photos isn’t actually that hard, but does take a lot of practice.
My idea is this:
Your first million photos are your worst.
I think Henri Cartier-Bresson or some other photographer said, “Your first 10,000 photos are your worst.” But that was in the days of film.
In today’s digital world, your first million photos are your worst.
Honestly, if anyone took a million photos, it is impossible that they will still take bad photos.
To make better photos, we need to embed our photos with personal meaning, soul, and our life experiences. We need to photograph only what has personal significance to us. To photograph what makes our eyes quiver, and to photograph images that only we can make. The rule is this, to ask yourself:
Have I already seen this photo on Google images?
If the answer is “yes”– your photos can easily be made by a Google Street View camera, or any tourist with flip flops and socks.
In today’s brace new photographic world, you gotta stand out.
To stand out, share more personal photos. Share photos of your partner, kids, or self portraits of yourself. Because those are photos only only you can shoot. Look at the work of Sally Mann, only she could have made those soulful portraits of her family.
Also, make Street photos that really evoke emotion. Don’t just use a zoom lens and snipe people behind bushes. Rather, interact with your subjects. Talk with them. Share your heart and soul with them.
When you photograph strangers candidly, look for hand gestures, eye expressions, or body language– which shows the human condition. To show the human condition of pain, suffering, joy, friendship, happiness, and elation of the spirit.
So friend my challenge to you is this:
Declare proudly you are a photographer. But just ask yourself,
Why do I make photos?
Question your own personal motives.
Don’t make photos for Instagram; make photos for yourself.
Learn more: PHOTOGRAPHY 101 >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- The Film Shooter
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
MUSE by KIM
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
Street Photography Starter Kit
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- STREET NOTES $ 19
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350