LISETTE MODEL: a genius photographer who has influenced so much of photography.
How Lisette Model innovated in photography
First of all, she was the teacher of DIANE ARBUS, who also influenced a lot of photography.
Lisette Model has also innovated the field of photography with her camera work: shooting dynamic, edgy, low angle, flash, up close shots. Her work has apparently influenced BRUCE GILDEN a lot, apparent in his low angle, flash, 28mm work.
Also, I love Lisette Model’s work because (in her words) the photos “**hit you in the stomach.” To me, Lisette Model’s photos are edgy, interesting, full of anxiety, tension. In other words, her photos are NOT boring (the only cardinal sin of a photographer).
Who was she influenced by? Alexey Brodovitch and Beaumont Newhall.
Shooting without judgement?
Lisette Model said that she observed her subjects, without judging them.
I would say, her photos are obviously a reflection of her interest in individuals at the outskirts of society. If anything, I see criticism of the rich and fancy in her photos, but love and empathy in the “freaks” she photographed.
Lesson: Photograph your “superiors” like your “inferiors”, and shoot your “inferiors” like your “superiors.”
Reveal the outer world and the inner-world
In this essay on Diane Arbus, Lisette Model told her students to use photography and the camera as a tool to explore the outer world, and the inner-world and inner-emotions and soul of the photographer.
Lesson: explore the world around you with your camera. But more importantly: use the camera as a tool to explore YOUR OWN SOUL.
“Beautiful” is boring.
“When I was painting in Paris, we drew from the models. And you cannot imagine how fantastically boring it can be to look hour after hour at a beautiful body. But an ugly body can be fascinating.” – Lisette Model
To me, I agree with Lisette Model. To photograph traditionally “beautiful” people (like fashion photos of the skinny) is a bit boring. They all look the same.
Lisette Model tried to shoot fashion, but perhaps found it boring. Instead, she photographed “Normal” people out in the streets and public spaces.
Don’t judge yourself; just photograph.
There is a story of Lisette Model out with Diane Arbus in a field trip. Here is the excerpt:
Early in the course, on a field trip, Lisette saw that Diane, very pale, would lift the camera to her eye and then lower it. She was following Lisette’s instructions to click the shutter only when she saw something that excited her. In the face of what she found, she faltered.
“I can’t photograph,” she said.
“Why not?” Lisette asked.
“Because what I photograph is evil.”
“Evil or not,” Lisette replied, “if you don’t photograph this you’ll never photograph in your life.”
Lisette believed that over the next few months she helped Diane conquer her inhibitions. “You had to reach her where the deepest anxiety lay—that it was evil,” she said. “And I pushed it out. One hundred percent consciously. It was my business as a teacher to get it out.”
The moral of the story: don’t censor yourself when shooting. Only shoot what excites or interests you.
Learn more about Lisette Model
Photos by Lisette Model
My favorite shots of hers:
Notes on style and darkroom manipulation
From her Wikipedia Biography:
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
Street Photography Starter Kit
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- The Film Shooter
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
MUSE by KIM
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29