Men are over-represented in photography. Here are some great female photographers to know:
The Female Masters of Photography
- Inge Morath: Contemporary of Henri Cartier-Bresson, did epic photos of fashion, travels, with poetry and humanism.
- Diane Arbus: Famous for her medium format flash photos, photographing the “outcasts” of society in an empathetic way. Unfortunately committed suicide.
- Dorothea Lange: Famous for FSA photos of Dust Bowl and Great Depression. Iconic Migrant Mother photo.
- Helen Levitt: Best classic street photographer, photographed children. Innovative color street photos.
- Mary Ellen Mark: Probably one of the best composition photographers. Epic projects. My personal favorite female photographer. Great teacher, and timeless photos. Passed away recently.
- Vivian Maier: Chicago Nanny, Whose passion was photography on the side. Discovered by John Maloof. Empathetic photos of everyday life, and pioneering color 35mm work as well as great street portraits in black and white on her Rolleifex
- Zoe Strauss: Best living Magnum female photographer. Very down to earth, and has documented many individuals living with abusive partners. My favorite living female photographer.
- Martine Franck: Wife of Henri Cartier-Bresson. I prefer her work over his. Strong layers and clean compositions.
Who are your favorite female photographers? Contribute your recommendations on ERIC KIM FORUM.
- Cheat Sheet of the Masters of Photography
- 100 Lessons From the Masters of Street Photography
- Beginner’s Guide to the Masters of Street Photography
- Photos: Learn From the Masters of Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 7th, 2020: ERIC KIM BLOGGING MASTER CLASS (Online, via Zoom). [Register Intent Here]
- April 10-11th, 2021: BOSTON / Discover Your Unique Voice in Photography Workshop [Register Intent Here]
- May 1-2nd, 2021: CHICAGO / Street Photography Composition Masterclass [Register Intent Here]
- May 22-22nd, 2021: NEW YORK CITY / STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS by ERIC KIM [Register Intent Here]
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.