Digital medium format is the shit. I love it. Why?
I’m shooting the Pentax 645Z, and surprisingly— it has actually simplified my life. Why? The JPEG images out of camera look awesome (I use the color film JPEG preset in-camera). This means, I literally don’t touch or process the pictures. I shoot, and they already look awesome. I just directly upload them, without having to adjust exposure, contrast, or anything. I love this because it allows me to shoot more, spend less time editing my pictures, and more time to live life.
2. The color pictures look awesome:
Digital Medium format makes better pictures because there is more “dynamic range” in the pictures. That means, if you photograph a bright sky, it won’t “blow out” and become totally white. There is more gradation between the darks and lights of an image. That makes a smoother, more aesthetically pleasing image. The biggest reason I liked to shoot color film (Kodak Portra 400) is because of this dynamic range. Now that I can get the same dynamic range (or at least similar dynamic range with digital medium format)— I honestly see no reason to go back shooting color film (for myself).
3. The joy of shooting with an optical viewfinder:
The Pentax 645Z has the most beautiful optical viewfinder I’ve ever seen. Why? It is massive. I can see the ENTIRE WORLD like how I see it with my human eye. I feel less obstruction between me, the camera, and the world. Strangely more Zen. I like NOT having the lag of using an LCD sceeen, or an EVF (electronic viewfinder) or “live view”. In terms of physics, you will never be able to “beat” an optical viewfinder, because no matter how good the refresh speed of an electronic viewfinder, there will always be a small lag.
When I photograph Cindy, textures, or things with a lot of texture and depth— the pictures look more textured, and detailed. To me, I love this. Why? I feel like I can touch the textures in my pictures. The pictures bring me more aesthetic joy— especially when photographing nature (trees, rocks, and skies).
5. Shooting small JPEG:
I am anti-megapixels. More megapixels, more problems. I’ve shot all the pictures on the Pentax 645Z in small JPEG. Why? I hate the stress of having to backup massive digital files. And the small JPEG images on the Pentax are big enough — 20 megapixels, and around 5000px wide. I don’t want to wait forever for the images to upload— because unfortunately, internet speeds in the world are still pretty slow. Smaller files means more digital flexibility.
6. My digital medium format workflow
In terms of workflow, I just shoot small JPEG, transfer them to my iPad via the default Apple lightning SD card reader, and then upload them directly. I flag the pictures I like with the default Apple photos app. Super fast and efficient. This is what helped me quickly edit and process the pictures I shot of my friends wedding on digital medium format.
7. Slowing down:
The Pentax is big and heavy, so it forces me to slow down… to be in the Zen zone, and just focus. Funny enough, the big size and weight has actually been an advantage— because it is so big, heavy, and cumbersome, it ENCOURAGES me to shoot more pictures.
Why? Because it is such a pain to carry around, I might as well make pictures with it because I am going through the pain of carrying it around.
Should I buy a digital medium format camera?
It’s pretty awesome— you can buy a used digital medium format Pentax 645D (older version) for around $2,500 USD. To me, that is a fucking bargain.
All new digital cameras are technically superior than most digital medium format cameras, because with digital medium format high ISO isn’t great. I don’t like to shoot above ISO 3200 on the Pentax 645Z. And with digital medium format, the autofocus is very slow. And it is bigger, heavier, and more bulky than almost all modern-day compact, mirror less cameras.
Shooting digital medium format photography won’t make you a better photographer. Only way to improve your photography is to learn composition, conquer your fears, attend workshops, travel, learn, study philosophy, study aesthetics, and know WHY you make pictures.
But shooting digital medium format will give you a different aesthetic look to your pictures. I personally like it, but it isn’t for everyone.
On the Pentax 645, the aspect ratio is NOT the traditional 3:2 aspect ratio we know and love. It is more boxy and square like. Some people hate it, personally I like it. I shoot more horizontal landscape oriented pictures, and shoot fewer vertical pictures (because there is more space vertically in the pictures).
I also personally like how I think and shoot differently with digital medium format. How? I look for more colors, textures, details, and I stop, look back, and look at the whole picture. I slow down, and take my time.
Ultimately, my two favorite cameras (as of writing this) include the RICOH GR II and the Pentax 645Z. My life philosophy is to embrace the EXTREMES— either super small and minimalist, or big and powerful.
And of course, make your own decision. Don’t listen to me. I’m only sharing my VERY SUBJECTIVE experience and thoughts. Your lifestyle, budget, and subject matter is different from what ERIC KIM shoots and thinks. So please please please, don’t go into debt trying to shoot digital medium format or whatever. If you cannot afford to buy two digital medium format cameras (in cash) I recommend not to buy it. I call this the “two camera rule”.
Be creative every day!
At the end of the day, once again— just shoot. Make pictures that bring you joy.
Buying a new camera won’t inspire you to make new pictures. I recommend you to buy books, not gear instead. Invest in HAPTIC TOOLS to re-inspire your creativity (see our new book: “CREATIVE EVERY DAY”)
To elevate your photography to the next level, invest in an ERIC KIM EXPERINCE.
Also join the supportive and vibrant ERIC KIM FORUM.
Articles on Digital Medium Format Photography
- My Experience Shooting Digital Medium Format in Street Photography
- My Experience Shooting my Friend’s Wedding on Digital Medium Format
- Why Digital Medium Format is the Future of Photography
- Is Digital Medium Format Worth It?
- 7 Lessons I’ve Learned Shooting Fashion For the First time on Digital Medium Format (PENTAX 645Z)
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- The Film Shooter
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
MUSE by KIM
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
Street Photography Starter Kit
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book