Let us not be fooled and suckered into thinking we are just mere ‘photographers’ who must capture reality ‘true to life’.
No — we are CREATIVE ARTISTS (visual artists) who enjoy the art and approach/technique of photography as a means of artistic self-expression. It isn’t photography for photography’s sake, but photography as a means to or as a road to artistic flourishing and self-expression / artistic self-outpression!
What does this mean for us?
- Using filters is not ‘cheating’. In fact, the more fun you can have with filters, the better! Reality is already filtered through our own perceptions (we do not see the world in black and white). So just embrace it; and apply filters to our photos however we see fit.
- Consistency is overrated: This means, just shoot with whatever camera you got on tap. Your phone, iPad, digital camera, film camera, whatever. Artistic ‘consistency’ seems to be more of a trap than anything.
- Let us have deep pride in being photographers — let us recognize that photo-artistic creativity is one of the ultimate forms of self-expression!
Take your fun photos, filter them, add interesting glitching effects, or whatever. Upload your fun creative photos to arsbeta.com and also give honest feedback and critique to others in the community!
Fun books to get you going:
The photo thought
The great optimistic thought I had today:
If reality existed purely for the chance for us to experience reality and make photos, it was all worth it!
Seek to supersede yourself and become more:
- JUST SHARE YOUR ARTISTIC PROCESS WITH OTHERS.
- What Motivates Me to Shoot?
- How to Maximize Yourself to the Fullest
- HOW TO MOVE AND MOTIVATE PEOPLE
- Autotelic Photography
- The more I go out and photograph the world, the more interesting and beautiful the world becomes
- Why Photographers Have Such Low Self-Esteem
- ERIC KIM MOTIVATION
- Why Am I So Unmotivated?
- EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY
- WHY ARE YOU SO UNMOTIVATED?
- Movement is Motivation
- How to Motivate Myself to Make New Photos
- Never Stop Optimizing
- How to Help and Motivate Others
- Feed On Your Own Photos; Let Them Nourish You!
- Competition is for Suckers
- A Future Without Travel
- How Google Can Improve Your Photography
- DEVELOP YOURSELF.
- NEVER STOP MOVING!
- How I Self-Motivate Myself
- Every Day the Sun is Birthed Anew
- A Life Without Photography Isn’t a Life Worth Living
- 8 Practical Photography Assignments for You
- Tabula Rasa, Blank Slate, Carte Blanche
- LIFE IS THE ULTIMATE RPG
- HYPER VIGOR
- FRESH AIR PHOTOS
- WHO IS GONNA THRIVE IN TODAY’S BRAVE NEW WORLD?
- ARTISTIC OPTIMISM
- PASSION, not Discipline
- Better Bad Photos than No Photos
- The Empowering Feeling of Failure
- To Be Human is to Move
- Enjoy the Process
- Better Bad Photos than No Photos
- Why Keep Making New Art and Photos, Indefinitely?
- Photography Motivation: What if There is Nothing Interesting to Photograph?
- Move First, Motivation Later
- Motivation Follows the Action
- In Praise of Heroes
- 5 Tips How to Boost Your Creativity
- How to Have Inspiration to Take Photos in the Suburbs
- Anything that Motivates You to Move is Good!
- The Productive Photographer is the Happiest Photographer!
- Make Today Count!
- How to Break Through Photographer’s Block
- The Joyful Photographer
- The Dancing Photographer
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography