If you have photographer’s block, or lacking inspiration to shoot— set a timer for 25 minutes, and do nothing but photograph for those 25 minutes.
Thank you to Cindy for the idea.
The Pomodoro Technique
When I used to have writer’s block; I used a technique called the ‘pomodoro technique.’ The same concept— you set a timer to 25 minutes, and work nonstop on one task for 25 minutes, and then you take a 5 minute break. That is called 1 ‘pomodoro.’ It is called the ‘pomodoro’ technique, because the man who started it used a tomato-shaped kitchen timer (pomodoro is a tomato).
I know a lot of people who use the pomodoro technique to overcome resistance, and get more work done. It works well for Cindy.
I no longer use the pomodoro technique; but I think it might work well in photography.
3 steps: Photography Pomodoro Technique
Here is how to do the ‘pomodoro’ photography technique:
- Set your smartphone timer to 25 minutes, and set it to airplane mode.
- Go to an area you want to photograph, and only photograph for 25 minutes.
- Stop photographing once your timer buzzes.
I think this will help you overcome any sort of resistance, or creative blocks in your photography.
Try it out, and see if it helps you.
For more inspiration to overcome your photographer’s block, pick up a copy of “Street Notes“
Just shoot it:
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography