You were put on this earth for a reason. You have a gift to share with the world. Whether that be your artistic skills, your interpersonal skills, or your idealism. Don’t hold back and waste your potential.
You have a special gift and potential to change the world. You can do this with your photography, your writing, or your music. What holds you back from fulfilling your potential?
I think for a lot of people it is our fear that holds us back. The fear of being ridiculed. The fear of not becoming “successful.” The fear that we won’t live up to our own expectations.
But fuck that. Don’t let fear hold you back with its chains. Break free and dedicate your life to learning, expanding your knowledge, and sharing your passion with the rest of the world.
Don’t get distracted
Today we live in a world with abundance. Rates of violence and poverty are reducing. If you live in the west, you probably have access to the internet, you don’t worry about hunger, and you can live without fear of death.
However we are overwhelmed with distractions. Text messages, emails, social media. There are thousands of things out there vying for your attention. Advertisers trying to sell you stuff, marketers trying to breed dissatisfaction in your heart, and notifications on your smartphone telling you, “check me!”
The only way you can do meaningful work and expand your potential is to focus. Focus means to use all of your psychic energy and only do one thing at a time. It means to tune out distractions.
Personally if I need to focus, I turn off my smartphone, and only focus on the work at hand. For example, when I’m writing, I only write— I do nothing else. When I read, study, or do research— that is all I do.
For you too— do only one thing at a time. When you’re shooting, only shoot. Walk slowly, take in the surroundings all around you, and become one with the street. Constantly push and challenge yourself in your photography, and try to get into a “flow state” as psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls it (or the “zone” in popular culture). Don’t shoot what makes you bored. If you are bored with your photography, push yourself to make more complex, interesting, or layered images.
Become the best version of yourself
Your life is short and limited. Why waste your valuable time, attention, and money on distractions? Life is tough. But don’t waste your potential on watching TV, Netflix, or other passive forms of entertainment. Use your free and leisure time to create more art, to do more writing, more reading, more reflection. If you are an aspiring film director— perhaps watching TV will help inform you. But whatever you do, focus on personal growth.
Become the best version of yourself you possibly can. Don’t settle for second-best. And know that the only person you should compete with is yourself. Everyday aim to become 1% better than yesterday, and within a year, you will be amazed to see how much of your potential you can reach.
You got this.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
MUSE by KIM
Street Photography Starter Kit
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- The Film Shooter
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1