After some philosophizing, I’ve come to realize… true “happiness” in photography IS making pictures. Very simple.
What I mean is this:
To be a happier photographer, make more pictures.
Anything that motivates you to make more pictures is a good thing.
Therefore, DO ANYTHING which motivates you to make more pictures.
How I motivate myself to make more pictures
For me, here are things which motivate me to make more pictures:
- Get out of the house, and walk more. The more I walk, the more interesting stuff I see, and the more I shoot.
- Use a neck strap, to wear your camera like a necklace. The more I have my camera on my neck, and the lighter my camera, the more I shoot, and thus, the happier I am. I recommend HENRI NECK STRAP (looks cool, and is functional).
- Shoot anything and everything. Shoot textures, hand gestures, urban landscapes, street photos, landscapes, portraits of loved ones, or just selfies. No definitions. The ultimate liberation that will allow you to make more pictures!
- Don’t worry about composition so much: Walk and shoot. Don’t stop. Don’t worry about composition, just follow your gut and click a lot.
- When in doubt, click. Don’t second guess yourself in photography. Better to make more pictures than fewer pictures.
- Just use a phone. When I make pictures on a phone, I feel like a kid again. I don’t take photography so seriously. Just have fun, isn’t that the point of photography?
Happiness and photography
Make pictures to make yourself happy.
- Buy books, not gear: Best way to find more inspiration and motivation to make pictures. Or just download my free books.
- Experiment with your post processing, and make your own photography filters. Start using my free ERIC KIM PRESETS, and just edit and modify them how you see fit.
- Invest in experiences and traveling. The more novel experiences you have, the more inspiration and opportunities you will to have to make pictures.
- Don’t just take photos. Make digital illustrations. Draw. Study ALL FORMS of visual art. I love fashion, architecture, interior design, sculpture, and painting.
- Find inspiration for life in studying philosophy, poetry, or film. Don’t limit your sources of inspiration.
So friend, what is happiness and photography to YOU? Share your thoughts in ERIC KIM FORUM.
BE CREATIVE EVERYDAY,
Just shoot it:
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
Street Photography Starter Kit
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
MUSE by KIM
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- The Film Shooter
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19