How do you live a fulfilling life? Easy: make the best of today– make today count!
There is never a perfect opportunity
“Carpe diem!” (Seize the day!) – Horace
First of all, the time is never ideal. There is never a perfect opportunity. In life, there will always be moments of inconvenience. There will be days when we are sick, tired, or exhausted.
Something always comes up. Family problems, financial stresses, other inconveniences.
But– what if in spite of all of that– you could still pursue your passion, everyday, regardless of what your job is or your circumstances in life?
What is your passion?
First of all, I think it is possible that you can make a living from your passion. To make a living from your passion means to make enough money to cover your rent and expenses, by drawing an income from your passion, to cover your basic needs. It is easier to make a living from your passion, especially if you live a cheaper, more frugal/economic daily lifestyle, or you decide to move to a cheaper neighborhood, or a cheaper country (Vietnam and Bangkok are great for ‘digital nomads‘ who want to pursue their passion for a living).
Anyways, assuming you have your 9-5 day job, and you still want to pursue your passion– whether that be photography, writing, film, music or something else. Ask yourself this question:
What if I knew that I would be stuck with this job for the rest of my life, never get a promotion, or never move, or never have the opportunity to travel. In spite of that, how can I still pursue my passion everyday, and make today count?
For example, let’s say your passion is photography, and you love to travel. But– if you don’t have a job or occupation that allows you to travel freely, I would almost subtract the “travel” portion from your photography. Just practice photography, everyday!
How to shoot everyday
For example, shoot photos in your neighborhood when you go on a walk. Shoot photos during your commute. For your lunch break, walk around and make photos. Use the simplest camera possible (whether that be a point and shoot camera, or just your phone). For myself personally, always keeping my camera around my neck has helped me carry my camera with me everywhere, which has allowed me to shoot more (ERIC KIM NECK STRAP for point and shoot cameras, or HENRI NECK STRAP for smaller compact cameras).
Or perhaps you can make photos after work? Can you spare yourself 30 minutes after work to shoot everyday? Can you take the longer route home, or walk more, instead of taking public transit/driving? Or if you commute to work via car, can you take 30 minutes everyday after work and go shoot? Even if you’re exhausted after work– could you power-up with a double espresso, and find the energy to shoot, and pursue your passion of photography?
How to write everyday
One of my passions is writing, and I find myself happiest when I write everyday. I’ve found the best way to write is this:
Write for yourself.
Write ideas that excite you. Don’t make writing some obligatory duty that you must achieve. Write because it is fun, write because you want to flesh out ideas in your head. And then publish it– because of course, there will be at least 1 person in the whole world who will find benefit from your writing.
Don’t be romantic about writing: just write on your phone, on your laptop, tablet, or whatever device is most convenient for you. I personally like the IA WRITER app in ‘focus’ mode, to help me get in the zone. If you have a hard time getting in the zone or the mood to write, just shut off your wifi (use the ‘Freedom’ app on your laptop to shut off your internet), turn off your phone, and listen to some music that gets you in the zone. Or of course, you can also just drink more coffee.
How to workout everyday
If you want to get physically stronger, workout everyday. Make today count– just do some pushups at home, body lunges, yoga– whatever makes it easier for you to workout. Walk to a local park and do chin-ups. Or drive to the local gym, and keep it simple (Monday for deadlifts, Wednesday for chest, and Friday for squats).
I’ve enjoyed playing around with pushup bars at home, and when on the road (I bought some for only $4 at DAISO in Japan). When I was living back in the states, I also had fun using a 70 pound kettlebell I ordered on Amazon (two armed swings, and 1 armed swings) when I didn’t have enough time to go to the gym.
The best way to motivate yourself to workout is to just have fun. Don’t workout to lose weight. Workout because you enjoy the physical movement, the physical bloodflow and “pump” you get, and because it is enjoyable. The more enjoyable you make your physical activity, the more motivated you will to keep doing it.
For me, ultimately the purpose of working out is to feel stronger, and to become stronger (physically and mentally).
Tomorrow is never
Make today count. Not tomorrow, and not the day after that.
Don’t wait until the weekend for you to pursue your passion. Don’t wait until you are on holiday. Don’t wait until you retire.
Make today count, because tomorrow is never.
Just shoot it:
- How to Break Through Photographer’s Block
- The Joyful Photographer
- The Dancing Photographer
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- The Film Shooter
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
Street Photography Starter Kit
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
MUSE by KIM
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0