“I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance.” – Nietzsche
A practical thought: treat photography like dancing!
1. Treat shooting photos like dancing
Nowadays when I make photos, I treat it like dancing.
When I am making photos with her, I feel her energy, and I dance with her energy with my camera. I make photos, laugh, chat with her, direct her a bit, and also change my positioning when shooting photos. I dance with my camera– using different angles, orientations, and I treat every photo I shoot as a playful, fun, creative experiment. I often don’t know what kind of photo I’m going to make until I shoot it.
2. Dancing isn’t just specific dance moves; but the whole performance
When it comes to dancing, we cannot judge a dance performance with isolated dance moves. No — dancing is all about the culmination, the combination, and the whole dance performance.
Treat the same in your photography: a single photograph isn’t what makes a good photography project, or a good photographer. Rather, treat your photography as a whole performance.
When you work on photography projects, think about the cadence, the mood, the dynamic movement, the high points (treble) and low points (bass) of your photos.
And when you look at your photos, ask yourself:
Does looking at my photos inspire me to move, dance, smile, and laugh? Do my photos proclaim the beauty of life? Are my photos uplifting, motivating, and inspirational? Are my photos alive and full of vigor and energy? Or do my photos make me feel dead and passive inside?
3. Shoot lots of photos!
If you see a scene you like, don’t just take 1 photo. Rather, continually shoot. Keep shooting, and later choose what your 1 favorite photo is.
For example, here is a series of photos I shot of Cindy when we were out in Osaka, eating barbecue, and her taking a sip of sake. I initially took the first photo of her posing, then more dynamic photos of her sipping the sake (shot with flash):
4. Shoot what brings you joy
When you see a scene that puts a smile on your face, just keep moving, and shooting!
5. Discover the most dynamic composition while you’re shooting
Don’t be a static photographer. Be a dynamic photographer by shooting a lot, and trying more dynamic compositions, like the tilted DUTCH ANGLE.
Also you never know what the best composition/photo is going to be, until you start shooting it.
Which means, while you’re shooting, discover the composition while you’re shooting a scene.
Lesson: Don’t just take 1 photo of the scene. Remember: WORK THE SCENE!
Photography is a joyful art. Whenever you make a photograph, smile.
Dance when you shoot, because it is great to be alive.
Having photography is a great blessing: we can make instant art, and make photos of whatever is meaningful to us.
Never stop shooting, and never stop dancing!
Just shoot it:
- The Kaizen Process of Gradual Self-Improvement in Photography
- It is Your Duty to Make Beautiful Pictures!
- Making Pictures IS Happiness!
- NO EXCUSES.
- The Pomodoro Photography Technique
- The ABC of Photography
- Just Shoot It.
- How to Change the World With Photography
- How to Find Inspiration in Photography and Life
- How to Overcome Resistance
- Create Against the Past
- How I Motivate Myself to Make Photos
- Wear Your Camera Like a Necklace or Bracelet
- Have Your Photos Come to You
- How to Level Up in Your Photography
- How Not to Give a Fuck of What Others Think of You
- How to Overcome Procrastination in Your Photography
- How to Reinspire Your Photography
- What is Your Mission in Photography and Life?
- How to Overcome Photographer’s Block
- Be a Photographer Now
- How to Overcome Boredom with Photography
- Never Stop Growing as a Photographer
- Why Do You Need “Inspiration” to Shoot?
- Just Shoot.
- 5 Things to Do If You’ve Lost Your Passion for Photography
- How to Have Unshakeable Confidence in Yourself
- Don’t Give Up On Your Dream
- Don’t Waste Your Potential
- Unlock Your Potential
- Empower Others With Your Photography
- Why You Shouldn’t Follow Your Passion in Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
MUSE by KIM
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
Street Photography Starter Kit
- The Film Shooter
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- STREET NOTES $ 19